Reef Aquarium Facts #47 Quarantining fish is a good habit to treat unwanted disease!

Do you quarantine new fish?

• Yes

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #47

Quarantining fish is a good habit to treat unwanted disease!

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject. ;)

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no, not because I disagree by any means. I just don't have the space to have a QT tank set up at my place.

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth the little extra cash I have i pick healthy fish and so far I've had no problems

I too stopped using QT procedures, I added what looked to be a completely healthy clown fish pair. Two weeks after I added them they showed signs of disease; and ended up killing about 9 other fish. I lost the clowns as well. All it takes is one bad fish; so be aware if your not using a QT. You should be prepared to lose most of your fish at some time.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like MP says QT OR FAIL....trust me I learned this the hard way, you can just QT your fish in the same tank you use to QT your coral. :tongue:

Last edited:

Lynnmw1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do QT with most fish. The only fish I don't are ones that have a horrible time in QT such as Kole tangs, jawfish and mandarins.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used to qt my fish every time. seems in my experience it caused more stress on the fish and i lost ALOT of fish during qt chemical phase. Now I usually choose fish carefully and inspect well. I bring the fish home and do a FW dip (with an airstone, 3 gallon tank sides/bottom spray painted black, and match water temp to main tank temp) . then i'll use a fish "trap" (with suction cups) and isolate the fish in the main tank. that way i can feed it easier without having it compete for food. i've had way more fish survive this way. (mysis soaked in garlic and selcon works awesome!)

Eternal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jbj nanocube that is my original aquarium that I use for qt. Plus I think that it is beneficial to have 2 seperate systems just in case something happens in one.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have choosen No for so long because i believed to much of a empty glass box with no or little light might stress the fish.It would be like being in a lock down cell without light or any contact with what you might need so that you don't go crazy. We try to aquire our glass boxes to mirror the ocean reefs already (thier original ecosystem). I choose to inspect my animals at the store and allow my shark nose gobie to do clean up within the tank. Had ick on a tiny hippo tang, but never went past a few spots and all gone due to the cleaner station and gobie. No other fish caught ich and this was over a year ago. BUT, as I'm writing this, I turned a bio 29 into my new QT. Something told me too.:tongue:

hawkfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy from a store you trust, that has a proper uv setup and is willing to keep the fish a couple a weaks before you take it home. if i was ordering online i would do a qt but what fun is ordering online?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back