Reef Brite LED's on a 40 breeder

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of adding a Reef Brite blue LED strip to my 6x39 watt t5 fixture over my 40 breeder. I wanted to see what length you guys would recommend that I get. 36x18x16
Also, I have a Nova Extreme Pro with ATI bulbs and would have to mount the LED bar on the fixture itself. That would place the LED bar approximately 5" above the water, will I still be able to cover the whole tank front to back, or does it need to be higher off of the water (not sure how I would do that.) Thanks for any help.:wink:

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, and what about the front to back coverage with the bar being mounted approx. 5" off of the surface?

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question, will I still get a nice blue effect even with running 4 blue plus, 1 aquablue Special and a Fiji purple? I am looking for that extra glow or pop on some of my corals.

xraided199

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh ABSOLUTELY you will. actually, Breakin Newz is the one who convinced me to get a reefbrite strip on my 30 breeder. i have a 4-bulb t5 fixture (getting a tek 6-bulb next week) but really really started hating the way my tank looked and wanted a lot more blue pop. after seeing jon's tank, i couldn't believe my eyes. all the blue in the world over one tank!! it is gorgeous. so i got the reefbrite strip a couple weeks ago and could not be happier.

i run 3 blue+, 1 aquablue special and couldn't believe that the one 12k bulb nearly drowns out all 3 of the blue bulbs. and what i mean by that is that i thought i'd get a whole lot more blue that i had. after adding the strip, WOW! i can't ever turn it off. it's exactly what i needed, and certain LPS and SPS are now showing colors that i never thought they could have. if i run it with my t5's, it adds a perfect amount of blue. if i run it alone, well, the color is just outstanding. so so blue and bright. my one regret is not mounting it a little higher because the spread, as you were asking, does not reach the back of the tank. it's only because of how my fixture is that i can't really mount it high enough. in your case, 5 inches should be perfect for a front to back spread like Breakin Newz said.

you will not be disappointed in your purchase i promise. without going to the very expensive LEDs that act as the main source of light anyway, i think the reefbrite is the way to go. good luck and post some pics!!!

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schweet! I hope to order one soon, I will post some pics of when I get it mounted. Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated :)

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 48" over my 240g (96*24*24) and am running 3x250w EVC 14k and 2x4ft Super Actinic VHO and 2x4ft 454 and still get some additional pop and crystal blue on the sandbed when I kick on the my ReefBrite strips. Very impressed i think mine are off the water about 6", slightly angled, and I am getting full spread to the back of the tank. They are VERY impressive.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nuttin but LED; 3 Evolution units. Two are 6" off the deck and 1 is 4" off the deck. 92" tank 24 wide and 30" deep.

IMG_3904Stitch.jpg

Last edited:

Pellaeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one 36" on my 40 gallon breeder and love it. It is about 4-5" off the top of the surface.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen any par #s on reef brites? I've heard that they supposed to be like 2 t5s but I'd like to see some numbers to back it up.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i talked with jeremy from PA about these for a 40 breeder and he recommended this:
I would recommend doing at least 3 modules. I would probably go with a couple of 50/50 setups, and then an all blue setup. I think that would give you a really nice appearance, more on the blue side, with fantastic coloration.

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea Ed! Why not just add two of the 36" blue strips and mount one on either side of the fixture? Then you don't have to worry about spread, lol. Can't wait to see pics!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back