• Total voters

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I just recently got a bottle of Reef Energy AB+, as I really want to bring out some polyp extension and colors, and have read some good reviews about it. I am ready to put it on a DOS, since I can have a week's worth out (yay!), but want to know what you guys think/what you guys are doing:

I have 2 options of dosing continuously over 24 hours (I am starting at 8 ml, a very small dose to not overload the system) dosed directly into my return chamber to go straight to display tank, or dosing all at once right after lights go out in the evening once a day.

Thoughts/Behaviors/whatever you want to say?! Pic for fun: (I really need to scrape the stuff off the back wall...)

IMG_1262.jpeg

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will like it, I have been dosing 6 ml a day since it was released in feb and have had noticeable growth. I used to dose acropower and roids and both seemed to give me weird algae and cyano growth. I have started dosing Easy SPS powder sticks night and that seems to be ok as well. About an hour after dosing the polyp extension is nuts. My acros all seemed stalled out before AB+ and I can see weekly changes now. I have only used the easy SPS for the last couple weeks. Here is a couple shots and you can see the polyp extension, I have had to start trimming corals a lot more too because they are growing into each other

F629C3F3-DD90-46E0-B05E-CA0753F56C2C.jpeg F38C9104-87ED-43DF-9ED7-B5592AC17714.jpeg 89A6849D-E748-4470-9B01-5645E4F96F65.jpeg

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I just recently got a bottle of Reef Energy AB+, as I really want to bring out some polyp extension and colors, and have read some good reviews about it. I am ready to put it on a DOS, since I can have a week's worth out (yay!), but want to know what you guys think/what you guys are doing:

I have 2 options of dosing continuously over 24 hours (I am starting at 8 ml, a very small dose to not overload the system) dosed directly into my return chamber to go straight to display tank, or dosing all at once right after lights go out in the evening once a day.

Thoughts/Behaviors/whatever you want to say?! Pic for fun: (I really need to scrape the stuff off the back wall...)

IMG_1262.jpeg
First of all...GREAT PHOTO...I like the "stuff" aka purple algea/coraline on the background. I actually use the DoS to dose the ReefAB on a 125 gallon twice a day for a total of 17.8ml I have it set up that the skimmer is turned off for one hour and the dosing occurs at 3pm-4pm and 3am-4am at 8.9 mil each time..having the doser dose for the entire hour. Works fine for me so far. I did switch from the Komoera F4 Pro to the DoS this past weekend after having the Komera for a year.

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all...GREAT PHOTO...I like the "stuff" aka purple algea/coraline on the background. I actually use the DoS to dose the ReefAB on a 125 gallon twice a day for a total of 17.8ml I have it set up that the skimmer is turned off for one hour and the dosing occurs at 3pm-4pm and 3am-4am at 8.9 mil each time..having the doser dose for the entire hour. Works fine for me so far. I did switch from the Komoera F4 Pro to the DoS this past weekend after having the Komera for a year.
I love the coralline for sure. It is the Pocillopora that took over the back that I don't trust haha

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will like it, I have been dosing 6 ml a day since it was released in feb and have had noticeable growth. I used to dose acropower and roids and both seemed to give me weird algae and cyano growth. I have started dosing Easy SPS powder sticks night and that seems to be ok as well. About an hour after dosing the polyp extension is nuts. My acros all seemed stalled out before AB+ and I can see weekly changes now. I have only used the easy SPS for the last couple weeks. Here is a couple shots and you can see the polyp extension, I have had to start trimming corals a lot more too because they are growing into each other

F629C3F3-DD90-46E0-B05E-CA0753F56C2C.jpeg F38C9104-87ED-43DF-9ED7-B5592AC17714.jpeg 89A6849D-E748-4470-9B01-5645E4F96F65.jpeg
that looks insanely nice. are you spot feeding or just broadcasting the reef energy ab+?

oelsheikh74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally dos manually every night, but it would be great to get feedback from everyone using a doser, I have one available pump on my DOS as I only use one pump to use All 4 Reef, Redsea says that it can last one week without refrigeration, so are you guys filling the container every week or you just leave it longer than that?

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these new products are confusing. I am out of Selcon and want a replacement. This AB+ stuff is close to the same thing right?

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these new products are confusing. I am out of Selcon and want a replacement. This AB+ stuff is close to the same thing right?
I use Selcon too, but it is more of an additive for the fish foods. The corals might get some benefit, but I don't consider them the same. Reef Energy would be more like coral amino or acropower, but those (I think) are more limited to amino acids. Reef Energy claims to have aminos, plus carbs and fats for the corals. I will continue using Selcon, but will d/c coralamino (unless someone has evidence doing both is good?)

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound weird, and I may be an oddball but this is what I do and I have a "baby" 90g tank and ive seen incredible growth in the 1 month I have started using AB+.

-In my auto feeder w/ pellets i have reef roids- opening is set on smallest setting & timer is spread evenly 4x/day. (so this is my night feed for when the corals that extend polyps after dark come out)
-In the morning before lights come on I dose microbacter clean (naturally dealing with a mild cyano problem and also extra bacteria cant hurt, right?)
-Around 12/1 (just around when the lights hit full power) I feed mysis with selcon & garlic AND 10mL of AB+

I only have montis and a birdsnest for SPS but everything else is absolutely THRIVING. My montis were losing color and since I started adding AB+ day by day they are slowly coloring back up!
I could honestly start adding acros if I wanted, but I wanted to make sure my montis were thriving first. Slow is fast, right?

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally dos manually every night, but it would be great to get feedback from everyone using a doser, I have one available pump on my DOS as I only use one pump to use All 4 Reef, Redsea says that it can last one week without refrigeration, so are you guys filling the container every week or you just leave it longer than that?
Yeah, I actually dumped the entire bottle in the reservoir...I did read where it says only a weeks worth at a time...(well that defeats the purpose of full automation in my mind)...but I MIGHT switch to the method recommended--One week's worth

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I actually dumped the entire bottle in the reservoir...I did read where it says only a weeks worth at a time...(well that defeats the purpose of full automation in my mind)...but I MIGHT switch to the method recommended--One week's worth
Yeah a week at a time 'sucks', but it is better than it used to be (always had to be refrigerated and shaken before dosing) and putting a little in a jar once a week isn't the hardest thing to do :)

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a little over a year old but have been reading up on AB+ and I know you can only does a weeks worth until you have to clean out line to prevent any spoiling of older food but can I just run some RODI water through the doser and line after a week to clean out or do I need to do a more thorough cleaning of doser and line.

Onthefly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn my skimmer off for an hour while I dose the AB+ between 7p and 8p (20mL for 85ga system)...I've been thinking about changing my skimmer timing to 2hr on/2hr off...I'm thinking about getting one of those "cooling" cup holders to keep the AB+ bottle cold/cool and just dose around the clock when my skimmer is off.

Edelbims

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general I'm not using a skimmer for my tank... I've been dosing for about 1 week for now...

jesusq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the AB+ and just bought a bottle which I started to manually feed. I'm thinking of an automated way to feed the AB+ to the tank.

Questions:
- Should I turn off the return pump for 1-2 hours and directly run a tube host to the tank using the DOS, also keeping the gyres on while the DOS feeds
- Should I dose to my return chamber in my sump and only turn off the skimmer.

I do have a refugium and I feel if I keep the return pump on, I will be feeding the refugium as well, and I don't know what impact that will have.

On a larger quantity usage, I was thinking of using this portable cup cooler, hoping that I fan fit the bottle in this cooler and turning on the cooler a few times a day to keep the bootle mildly cool.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the AB+ and just bought a bottle which I started to manually feed. I'm thinking of an automated way to feed the AB+ to the tank.

Questions:
- Should I turn off the return pump for 1-2 hours and directly run a tube host to the tank using the DOS, also keeping the gyres on while the DOS feeds

I do have a refugium and I feel if I keep the return pump on, I will be feeding the refugium as well, and I don't know what impact that will have.

On a larger quantity usage, I was thinking of using this portable cup cooler, hoping that I fan fit the bottle in this cooler and turning on the cooler a few times a day to keep the bootle mildly cool.

So What I have done on my 120g and now on my 20g Nano, I turn off the skimmer and dose. So my AB+ schedule looks like this 5 Days of the 7 Days All Automated; Main-Pump Stays on the entire time:

8:28p: Skimmer & Left and Right Pump Turns OFF
8:30p: DoS Starts Feeding 4ml of AB+
8:55p: Left Pump Turns On
9:00p: Right Pump Turns On
9:30p: Dos Ends Feeding 4ml of AB+
11:30p: Skimmer Turns Back On

Last edited:

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Questions:

This looks interesting.. let me know how this works!

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to this also amd what has worked for me is dosing at night. I have my BRS doser hooked up to me Apex to dose in the return section. While dosing I have my return pump on to dose into the display after 8 minutes my return pump amd skimmer shut off amd my mp 10’s stay running to distribute throughout the tank. This has worked great so far. After an hour everything comes back on. I keep just enough Ab in a container to dose for the week

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back