reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I am looking into the reef-pi, what Raspberry Pi version does it use? And how hard is it to install, and use? I want to use it for pH monitoring, and dosing.
It can be as easy or hard as you want it be... you can do it from the "wires up" or you can go with a robo-tank...just depends on your skill level and capability.
you can use a Raspberry Pi Zero 3 or 4.. 4 is over kill (but what I had at the time when I did mine).

Easiest way is probably to use Rob's hat (robotank).. but if you are familiar with electronics you can bread board it and go from there.

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I am looking into the reef-pi, what Raspberry Pi version does it use? And how hard is it to install, and use? I want to use it for pH monitoring, and dosing.
as @ColoredRock is talking about ...it depends.. you can get something pre-made, or you can go about and make your own. How complex you want to make it, is up to you. Honestly, it is cheaper and probably much more "trusting" if you buy one pre-made as you won't have to worry if you soldered something correctly. As for the software, there is a learning curve, and can be troublesome to install but it's not that bad if you put your mind to it and do your research. Or you can do how I did it.. go into it head-on :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:. But if you are quick to temper, you might want to look at something more user-friendly as the UI could go for a minor update. It depends on if you like to tinker with things... You have to remember Ranjib opened the door to customization so it's for you to decide what you want to do.

as for the version of Pi, I had it running on a Pi 2 B+ for a while. I would suggest a Pi 3 and above as they have WIFI.. I'm currently using a Pi Zero w (the Cheapest currently sitting at $15 with no pins soldered) and I seem to not have any issues.

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @elysics for all the informations! Very appreciated!! @Ranjib maybe can you please help me with the volume tab in the doser section? What is that for?
Thank you!!

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the double message, the Doser function doesn't control the Enable pin of the stepper driver? We should keep it always enabled?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can the reef-pi do AND, OR, IF statements to control dosers etc also based on ph probe settings
If you use virtual outlets you can achieve similar functionality.

for instance, I have a switch in my stand that has a statement similar to:
Code:
light = off
if ( switch==1)
    turn on light for 10 minutes
else if begin time < time < end time
    turn on light

bcirulis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Wondering if anyone might be able to help me with this issue. I have a Robo-Tank controller running Reef-Pi.

I am just setting up a new tank and moving my existing controller over with a fresh install.

It was all working fine, but after the installing again from scratch I get the following error in Reef-pi:

failed to initialize drivers:can't build hal pin 6: embd: your host ":" is not supported at this moment. request support at https://github.com/reef-pi/embd/issues
Under equipment control, it shows the following in a red pop up box:

{"error":"Failed to update. Error: can't update outlet Power Bar 1 - Outlet 1 driver lookup failure: driver by id rpi not available - can't get output pin"} | HTTP 500

I'm running 5.3, on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4 with the V2 RoboTank controller.

Thanks in advance! Ben

bcirulis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which pi os are you running? is everything updated on the OS end?
Installed Raspberry Pi OS Lite 32 bit from the latest imager. Have run apt-get update as well.

pi@reef-pi:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="12"
VERSION="12 (bookworm)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

bcirulis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm... I just redid mine a month or so ago when moving it as well... I used Robs script to install.... did you try to plug the powerbar into the other serial port (RS232 Connector).... just an idea.
Unfortunately same error in plugged in to powerbar 2

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Wondering if anyone might be able to help me with this issue. I have a Robo-Tank controller running Reef-Pi.

I am just setting up a new tank and moving my existing controller over with a fresh install.

It was all working fine, but after the installing again from scratch I get the following error in Reef-pi:

failed to initialize drivers:can't build hal pin 6: embd: your host ":" is not supported at this moment. request support at https://github.com/reef-pi/embd/issues
Under equipment control, it shows the following in a red pop up box:

{"error":"Failed to update. Error: can't update outlet Power Bar 1 - Outlet 1 driver lookup failure: driver by id rpi not available - can't get output pin"} | HTTP 500

I'm running 5.3, on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4 with the V2 RoboTank controller.

Thanks in advance! Ben

I wanted to promote this same issue. I ran the latest 32 and 64 bit OS with the same result. I tried a plethora of different things but could not get past "failed to initialize drivers:can't build hal pin 6: embd: your host ":" is not supported at this moment. request support at https://github.com/reef-pi/embd/issues" This wasn't dependent on the pin number and would change at times.
  • Release date: December 5th 2023
  • System: 32-bit
  • Kernel version: 6.1
  • Debian version: 12 (bookworm)

I am rolling back to an earlier version but suspect this will resolve this. I should add that I did attempt this before and after update/upgrade.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to promote this same issue. I ran the latest 32 and 64 bit OS with the same result. I tried a plethora of different things but could not get past "failed to initialize drivers:can't build hal pin 6: embd: your host ":" is not supported at this moment. request support at https://github.com/reef-pi/embd/issues" This wasn't dependent on the pin number and would change at times.
  • Release date: December 5th 2023
  • System: 32-bit
  • Kernel version: 6.1
  • Debian version: 12 (bookworm)

I am rolling back to an earlier version but suspect this will resolve this. I should add that I did attempt this before and after update/upgrade.
Thank you for repeating this folks. Let me try to reproduce this and get back to you. After long time (almost 4 years??) I got couple of new pi zero w today :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed Raspberry Pi OS Lite 32 bit from the latest imager. Have run apt-get update as well.

pi@reef-pi:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="12"
VERSION="12 (bookworm)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
Did you get this sorted?

IronRising

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning All,

My T-ank been up and running for 8 months now and have been skulking on this forum for a couple months. Just started working on my Reef-Pi with a Robo-Tank Set up. Thanks @Ranjib for the awesome software, and thanks @robsworld78 for the hardware everything looks awesome and no issues. I got the main board as well as the Sensor and the Equipment extension boards. I decided to build my own relay controlled powerbar. Pic's attached for fun. I have proper terminal blocks on the way, the wire clips were for testing.

Everything is up and running on the test bench, but I'm running into two issues on the software/network side I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as i have never run a Pi as a "Server" before. I'm sure the issue is not with the Reef-Pi software, but could be wrong.

I have Reef-Pi up and running. I am able to connect to it from my main computer. Logs are logging and Temp/PH data is rolling in, I am also able to control the powerbar outlets. No other sensors set up yet as i want to fix my issues first.

1st Issue- I am only able to access the website from one computer. Its a PC wired into the router the Pi Zero W is connected to. I can SSH and get to the website using the IP Address but not the Host Name. Mine is Http://mixedreef.local. I cannot get to website off my phone or laptop connected to same Wifi as Reef-Pi. As my main PC is downstairs and my tank is upstairs not being able to access on my phone would be annoying lol.

2nd Issue- Cannot connect to Reef-Pi through any computer, Website or SSH after about 24 hours. Must reset the Pi to access the website or SSH again. The Reef-Pi is still running as all the data is there upon reset.

This is most likely my network issue. I have allowed the local IP address of the Pi and Port 22 for SSH on my router. Any help being pointed in the right direction would be very much appreciated. If i can provide more info please let me know.

Attachments

• Power Bar.jpg
    Power Bar.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 28

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back