Reef Safe Anemones?

camelcruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't really agree with the wait a certain period of time to get an anemone but you absolutely have to keep good water parameters. I have kept every type of anemone for years and my first was a few weeks after my cycle. The problem with putting them in early is the water is still unstable as you will go through a few months of the tank cycling. The initial nitrogen cycle doesn't mean you're in the clear as far as stability goes. I will tell you if you're really deticated to your tank and keep very good water parameters you can do it and you won't be the first but it will be a lot harder then if you wait until the tank is fully established. Either way good luck with the new tank.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, lets calm down a bit. I don't want to have to remove any posts or the like.

IMO/E, it is best to wait around 6 months. Mainly for the reasons that "eliramos" stated. With someone new to the hobby, there is a step learning curve. While Nitrates/Nitrites/Ammonia might be at zero, there are still changes going on within the tank. Algae blooms, pH and Alk spikes, swings in Mag -- all of which can/will affect an anemone. Plus, the reefkeeper is still learning their tank, when/how to do water changes, not being able to tell if there is an issue -- before it becomes a problem, etc.

Lastly, I personally don't see a reason to keep the temps rock solid within 2 degrees. I set my APEX up to have at least a 5 degree swing. Sure that will be a bit greatly now that the weather is changing and the windows will be open.

Of course things will be a bit different for a seasoned anemone keeper, but even then I wouldn't suggest doing it within 2 weeks of the cycle. I recently set up a new 210, I wanted 3 months before moving my blue S. haddoni over. There was still too many changes happening in the tank, even though the cycle had finished.

izzy1942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished cycling my tank about a week ago, and want to add an anemone. Just have a few inverts in right now. No corals yet, but I plan on doing a reef tank. I have heard mixed results from different sources, but wanted to know what the R2R community had to say! I'm going to add a pair of clowns tomorrow (I haven't added any fish yet) and wanted to know if I could get a anemone too. Someone at my LFS said Bubble Tip Anemones are the only reef-safe type of anemone. Some say otherwise... Thanks for your help!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back