Reef safe epoxy for embedding magnets? (DIY Ceramic frag rack)

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I decided to try my hand at making a frag rack out of ceramic clay and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on an epoxy to use in order to embed some magnets inside the frag rack. I can't put the magnets in before firing the racks because the kiln will reach hellish temperatures and I don't think thats safe plus it will likely do something to the magnetism.

So im looking for something that is both super strong (so the magnets don't fall out), adheres to ceramics, and is reef safe.

here are some pics:

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.35.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.37.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.37.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.37.37 AM.png

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've used two part clear epoxy to embed magnets and it works great and is cheap. You can get it at Home Depot/Lowes/craft store, etc. I put a thin coat in and let it harden, and then pour the remainder over the magnet. This way the magnet is totally encased, not just sitting on the ceramic which will still be able to leach through later. Hope that helps.

-Ed

OP
OP
Bob2bob

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @acro-ed! any generic two-part then or do you have a brand you like in particular? Good idea to encapsulate the entire magnet

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used a 2 part polyester casting resin to encase neodymium magnets for some frag racks I made a few years ago.
I found that as long as I used a dye in my resin uv light didn't break down the finished product like it does with clear casts.

OP
OP
Bob2bob

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 2 part polyester casting resin to encase neodymium magnets for some frag racks I made a few years ago.
I found that as long as I used a dye in my resin uv light didn't break down the finished product like it does with clear casts.

Woah didn't even think of the effect of UV lighting on the epoxy...

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are exactly zero epoxies i would trust to be waterproof for a long period of time. and i’ve been working with magnets as a diyer and professional for many years. way too much chance for breakdown, cracks, etc.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
there are exactly zero epoxies i would trust to be waterproof for a long period of time. and i’ve been working with magnets as a diyer and professional for many years. way too much chance for breakdown, cracks, etc.
I used a polyester casting resin and I still have a couple frag racks that I made around 10 years ago.
The casting resin, which I used is still in pretty good shape and still holding.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Most submersible aquarium pumps are sealed via epoxy encapsulation. Many (Uv exposed) commercial aquaculture tanks are epoxy coated as well. There are many different types of epoxy that all perform differently so I wouldn’t want to make any broad generalizations about which ones would or wouldn’t be appropriate for this purpose. Anecdotally, in my experience, the clear pour on glaze coat epoxy has been safe in my reefs for several years now without degradation. That may not be the case with other types.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic tile is porous. Without a glaze on it, water will migrate through the ceramic to the magnet. I’d encase the magnets completely in epoxy. It’s going to be difficult to ensure they are completely encased inside the pockets in the ceramic.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your preferred method encapsulate magnets if you don't use epoxy resin?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use plastic coated magnets from www.kjmagnetics.com and HD/Lowes epoxy to bond them to the frag racks. A couple of mine have been in constant use for well over 5 years with no issue whatsoever.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What is your preferred method encapsulate magnets if you don't use epoxy resin?
I used polyester casting resin on a bunch of frag racks 10-12 years ago for friends.
I still have one that I use occasionally.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back