Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't done much research for inside the tank but when looking for magnets to hold exterior on metal frame I saw ceramic magnets. I didn't look into them but if they are truly ceramic they may be a good choice

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used neodymium magnets and dipped them in plasti dip. I read in another forum that it was safe/inert.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe until you get a leak. I personally wouldn't trust plasti-dip.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock-mags.com or mag-rocks.com something like that. They sell the frag mag extra mags i think and are very very strong.

Also could use old mag cleaner. Wouldn't trust long term but a year or so should last.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used neodymium magnets and dipped them in plasti dip. I read in another forum that it was safe/inert.

Yeah defs wouldn't use plasti dip to seal magnets. It will seal them and it is reef safe (as far as I am aware). But it wont keep them sealed.

You can seal magnets by coating in epoxy (and I mean really coating them). Other than that and proper plastic coated magnets designed for reef tanks (like those on powerheads) I wouldn't trust magnets in a tank.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even epoxy can get brittle and crack, unfortunately. the best way is to encapsulate in acrylic.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even epoxy can get brittle and crack, unfortunately. the best way is to encapsulate in acrylic.

Yeah I agree with that. There is a guy on one of the Aus fb pages I am on who coats them in liquid 2 part epoxy, then he sands them down so the epoxy coat is about 5mm thick all over. Then he coats them all over in a good layer of epoxy putty (same stuff for mounting frags). They turn out really good and probably as safe as acrylic coated but way more involved than I would do haha

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just not sure what the long term effects are in a reef system. The standard two part epoxy is initially reef safe but who knows if it eventually breaks down. acrylic is 100% so long as the seams are welded properly. that's the major issue with the magnets that come with commercial frag racks like eshopps. a lot of people, myself included, have had leaks with their acrylic encapsulated magnets.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise for sponsor Tunze...various, in sizes all the way up to 1" glass:
https://www.tunze.com/US/en/catalogue/katalog-ii.html?user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter029
csm_6025.512_795b1acf6c.jpg
csm_6025.500_bb58ee740d.jpg

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to make a 4 foot long removable overflow grate for a coast to coast external overflow. I think the Avast marine magnet would work great, but a little pricey since I would need like 4 of them.
Thanks for the the helpful thread.
-Paul

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, strong neodymium magnets aren't necessarily cheap. the fabrication cost is a lot of the price too.

I'm trying to make a 4 foot long removable overflow grate for a coast to coast external overflow. I think the Avast marine magnet would work great, but a little pricey since I would need like 4 of them.
Thanks for the the helpful thread.
-Paul

WILLIEOWILL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic magnets are reef safe. neodymium magnets are not reef safe unless they're completed encapsulated and water tight.
Hey matt, I just bought a reef rax nano frag rack and the only way it looks good is on the back wall of my biocube 29 [I bought a in tank media basket and refugium from you a month or two ago] , but this puts the magnets under water in my return pump chamber. I took a natural rubber latex glove and cut off 4 fingers , rinsed the fingers a couple times with old tank water, dried them off and then wrapped 2 of the fingers around each magnet. I trimmed it all the way to the knot and it should be water tight. Am I ok doing this? I figured a natural rubber would be better than a magnet going bad. Or should I try something else? I don't want to crash my tank. I've put a lot of time, money and love on this thing and wanted to ask a couple of you more experienced reefers what you think?
Yeah, strong neodymium magnets aren't necessarily cheap. the fabrication cost is a lot of the price too.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back