"Reef Safe" Puffer?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely guaranteed reef safe, no, but Canthigster leoparda is the safest bet. Clams and fleshy brains are what are most at risk.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure 8 puffer & green spotted puffer acclimated from brackish water to salt are pretty reef safe. they livs half it's life span, but I never really thought that mattered to it since it has no concept of time...
Toby puffers like the blue spotted toby puffers and velentini puffers are safe with coral.

All of these will most likely bother inverts

Last edited:

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Valentini puffer in my reef. He never goes after corals, and doesn't bother inverts. One or two glances at a snail every now and then but he never goes for one. Just make sure you give the puffer krill, shrimp and nori to grind their teeth down

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had valentini and blue spots bth go after corals. One blue spot will bite any new coral that goes in the tank immediately. Some corals he leaves alone after day one, others he continues to pick at.

L.A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just a gamble. We had a Valentini who would just 'taste' a new coral and then would leave things alone. Most recently though we had a blue spot who was a zoa eating machine. IME Valentini is the way to go.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure 8 puffer & green spotted puffer acclimated from brackish water to salt are pretty reef safe. they livs half it's life span, but I never really thought that mattered to it since it has no concept of time...
Toby puffers like the blue spotted toby puffers and velentini puffers are safe with coral.

Respectfully, you have that backwards. :) Green spotted puffers NOT acclimated to brackish/saltwater live only about 4 years, whereas specimens transferred to salt can live to around 12, at least according to my online research.

sbmarvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Valentini Saddled Puffer and have had almost 0 losses in the means of snails larger than 1/2" and they stay small. He hasn't touched any of my corals or feather dusters or other inverts.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectfully, you have that backwards. :) Green spotted puffers NOT acclimated to brackish/saltwater live only about 4 years, whereas specimens transferred to salt can live to around 12, at least according to my online research.

If you don't acclimate them they die.

I know because when I started out I tried it.

I saw a Green Spotted Puffer in a Saltwater Tank while shopping for Freshwater.

That is when I decided to try Saltwater.

Not knowing any better I bought some GSP and put them in Saltwater and they Died.

So I went to the Store with the GSP already in Saltwater and bought it.

It is still alive almost 6 Years Later!

It is in a Reef Tank.

It does not bother Coral but will eat any Snails, Shrimp, Crabs, etc.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't acclimate them they die.

I know because when I started out I tried it.

I saw a Green Spotted Puffer in a Saltwater Tank while shopping for Freshwater.

That is when I decided to try Saltwater.

Not knowing any better I bought some GSP and put them in Saltwater and they Died.

So I went to the Store with the GSP already in Saltwater and bought it.

It is still alive almost 6 Years Later!

It is in a Reef Tank.

It does not bother Coral but will eat any Snails, Shrimp, Crabs, etc.

I believe you misunderstood me. Yes, you need to acclimate them slowly over time. :)

zybergoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue spot and saddle tobys will nip and pic at stony corals. I have a blue spot who earned himself his own tank for nippingg my Monti's and Acros. Though my leathers, my meteor showers, tongue coral and helmet were left alone. So it is possible but not with out its reasons for caution

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the individual. My valentini has never even glanced at my zoas, shrooms, finger leather thing, rics, GSP, roses, or monti/chalice. See is your LFS will sell you a small frag and throw it in the tank with him before you buy the fish. Or, like I did, get one that was housed in a reef at the LFS if possible. The chances of nipping are significantly lower if you keep him fat and happy, mine gets mysis, brine, krill, shrimp and nori amongst other things and it plump, so maybe that is why he isn't interested in coral

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back