Reef Spotlight - December 2012 "Nuocmam"

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ERaquarists.
-How do you clean your glass with the corals attached onto it?
"Good old fashioned elbow grease. I get what I can with a magnet scrapper and the rest I have to reach in there with a blade."
- Do you have cheato in your sump?
"No chaeto or other macro algae. I have used carbon dosing to keep NO3 & PO4 in check. Run GFO when necessary."
- Do you turn off your powerheads at lights off?
"Nope, power heads stay on all the time. I don't use night mode on the Vortechs either."
- Do you feed heavy with 21 fish? as it kills the math on how many fish per gallon of water.
"Yes I do feed pretty heavy. At the end of the day it's what you have to do to keep nutrients in check. For some its lots of water changes, feed less, and low bioload. But I like having lots of fish and being able to feed. Ran Ecobak for a couple years. Before that I dosed vodka. Just recently pulled the plug on the bio pellets and started vinegar dosing."

Last edited:

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ! Why u decide to take ecobak offline?

What's up man? Hope you are well and recovered from that crazy storm. I want a little more control with the carbon dosing. I started the bio pellets because I was tired of having to manually dose vodka by hand. It seemed like less work. But in the end it's work no matter what you do. I ran the pellets for a couple years and now feel I need to move on. I like the idea of being able to control exactly how much organic carbon the tank gets. On many occasions sps would get too pale, zoas and lps would stop growing altogether and sometimes just die. I found myself dosing aminos and other KZ supplements to balance it back out. I played with less and less amounts of pellets and very low flow through the reactor. Maybe I'm just never happy with my tank.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats................beautiful corals, especially the acros!

How many months are you getting out of your bulbs?

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started running ecobak because of ur tank lol!!!
So far very happy with results !
I've had good results with the Ecobak. Let me know if you have any questions. There are many ways to feed your tank and take care of excess nutrients. You just have to make this balancing act happen one way or another.

Congrats................beautiful corals, especially the acros!

How many months are you getting out of your bulbs?
Thanks. I do my best to change my lamps every 9 months or so. Longest I've let them go is a year.

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats again! All the featured tanks this year have made it a year to remember! Inspirational! Your tank has ended the year with style!

fishnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats J !!! You need to setup that Elos you got from me and give those poor corals some room :)

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats again! All the featured tanks this year have made it a year to remember! Inspirational! Your tank has ended the year with style!
Thanks man. All the featured tanks are much better than mine. I am honored to have this here.
Congrats J !!! You need to setup that Elos you got from me and give those poor corals some room :)
Ha! Wassup B! This is why the Elos tank has been sitting empty. It's taken me 4 years to get this far I didn't want to take this down and start over just yet.
any chance of seeing a vid of this awesome tank? :wink:
I plan on working a vid within the next couple months. Hope to get started on it after the holidays.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man what a tank. Everything looks great. Your picture taking skills seem to be just as good as your skills taking care of your tank. Hope you don't mind but this is my new background on my phone,
ynuda6yq.jpg

Congratulations man!

Trex-on

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank, An inspiration for my next project!n :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back