Reef Tank Crash, Pool Shock

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, has anyone had a RTN event from keeping pool shock in the same room as the tank? It's a large room and well ventilated, but I could smell the chlorine when I walked into the room.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added or changed anything in the tank recently? Any alk or high PH swings? Changed lights?

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, has anyone had a RTN event from keeping pool shock in the same room as the tank? It's a large room and well ventilated, but I could smell the chlorine when I walked into the room.
My fish room is also kind of a mud room for passing into the walkout basement from a hot tub/spa outside. As such, I keep all of the hot tub chemicals on the same shelf as most of my reefing supplies, about 3 feet from my main sump and directly below my refugium. This includes chlorine, bromine, pH adjusters, and an algae shock chemical. Never had a problem in 6 years of operating this way.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS tend to be the most sensitive organisms we're keeping. Canary in the coal mine, if you will
I agree but if some form of chlorine actually got in the tank which I doubt, I think there would be more wide spread tank effect other then a few SPS but no way to know really.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish room is also kind of a mud room for passing into the walkout basement from a hot tub/spa outside. As such, I keep all of the hot tub chemicals on the same shelf as most of my reefing supplies, about 3 feet from my main sump and directly below my refugium. This includes chlorine, bromine, pH adjusters, and an algae shock chemical. Never had a problem in 6 years of operating this way.
Im a professional pool guy and i would not dream of leaving any of my chemicals near my tank.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but if some form of chlorine actually got in the tank which I doubt, I think there would be more wide spread tank effect other then a few SPS but no way to know really.
Dpd test kit will read cl down to .5ppm use that and we can know.

Doctor Derp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he can smell chlorine in the room, there's no doubt whatsoever that his skimmer was breathing it right into his water column.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon does not do that
Chemical FiltrationCarbon is more of a broad range chemical filter media that will remove tannins, phenols, chlorine, and chemical contaminants and ultimately improve water clarity, eliminate odors, and remove toxins.Jul 14, 2022

BRS

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a professional pool guy and i would not dream of leaving any of my chemicals near my tank.
I guess I understand, but its not like they are going to contaminate through the air and I would never mix up my chemicals and accidentally dose my tank with a pool chemical. Maybe in my past life it could have happened, but I’ve retired from my professional drinking career…

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back