OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other thing was the refugium was off for 24ish hours due to a drain issue. I thought maybe it released something, but the chaeto looked good and the water in it didn't smell of sulfur or anything. Temp was stable, alk was stable, pH was stable...

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All non-acros look ok. Even the rainbow chalice is good. Nems are out...

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other thing was the refugium was off for 24ish hours due to a drain issue. I thought maybe it released something, but the chaeto looked good and the water in it didn't smell of sulfur or anything. Temp was stable, alk was stable, pH was stable...
Did your fuge drain clog and over fill? If this happened in my system it would result in the sump water level going down and ATO would top off, lowering the salinity of main tank. I have fail-safe automation to prevent this, but just a thought.

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your fuge drain clog and over fill? If this happened in my system it would result in the sump water level going down and ATO would top off, lowering the salinity of main tank. I have fail-safe automation to prevent this, but just a thought.
Yes, but I have dual overflow and both have backups too. The backup circumvents to the return. It always has some flow (like 30%) since I slow down the flow though the sump. Salinity is in check.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought - your pH may be in check now, but your daily swing from photosynthesis probably changed with the fuge off, especially if you run an opposing light schedule to your DT. These photos show my daily pH swing before and after I added a refugium. Pretty significant difference.

Attachments

• IMG_3773.jpeg
    IMG_3773.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3772.jpeg
    IMG_3772.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 13

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP we never got age of the tank, full parameters, lights, etc... how long did you have the SPS?

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP we never got age of the tank, full parameters, lights, etc... how long did you have the SPS?
SPS is 1.5yrs and great growth. Nitrates 10, phosphates .12, lights are mixture of kessils and Echotech (blanket 250 par with 600 in center rock). Alk 7.3 cal 440 mg 1450. pH swings but no major changes in the past 6 months. I ordered an Icon which will arrive Tuesday.

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS is 1.5yrs and great growth. Nitrates 10, phosphates .12, lights are mixture of kessils and Echotech (blanket 250 par with 600 in center rock). Alk 7.3 cal 440 mg 1450. pH swings but no major changes in the past 6 months. I ordered an Icon which will arrive Tuesday.
Trident has been recalibrated, and use Hanna checkers for nitrate and phosphate. Phosphate creeped up to .2 and lowered it to .16 with lanthanum chloride. It's been slowly decreasing from there. I had a dino outbreak a month ago, which turned to cyano and the cyano was on its way out.

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water went from crystal clear to RTN and cloudy overnight. Only changes were putting chlorine in the room, which I could smell. Cleaning out the drain for my refugium, and a 15 gal water change on a 240 gal to export some of the cyano. That water was tested before hand and also used on another tank with no adverse effects, so that rules out a contaminate in the water change water. (Other tank gets 80-90% water change since it is a reef jar).

Edit: and I cleaned my skimmer cup. It was maintenance day.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can’t imagine pool chlorine could off gas to concentrations at that levels, my expertise ain’t worth squat Either way, IMO household contaminates, and aerosols, et are waaaaaay underrated in so far as caution goes…
I don’t ever let bug spray in the house…
in any case
Advise a CSI level investigation into the causes outside the pool products but ya never know

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident has been recalibrated, and use Hanna checkers for nitrate and phosphate. Phosphate creeped up to .2 and lowered it to .16 with lanthanum chloride. It's been slowly decreasing from there. I had a dino outbreak a month ago, which turned to cyano and the cyano was on its way out.
Did you add chemicals for the dinos or cyano?

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can’t imagine pool chlorine could off gas to concentrations at that levels, my expertise ain’t worth squat Either way, IMO household contaminates, and aerosols, et are waaaaaay underrated in so far as caution goes…
I don’t ever let bug spray in the house…
in any case
Advise a CSI level investigation into the causes outside the pool products but ya never know
Yeah, which is why I came here. I ordered an ICP test. It should be here Tuesday. We will see if it shows anything.

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be bacterial. My tank has been cloudy white, but I'm not sure if that's due to the RTN or if it started before.

Montipora are untouched, but all acropora species are gone.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be bacterial. My tank has been cloudy white, but I'm not sure if that's due to the RTN or if it started before.

Montipora are untouched, but all acropora species are gone.
Is your skimmer acting normal?

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates have significantly risen. Not sure if it's from the RTN or what. Nitrates 11.3 and phosphates now .25. Dosing lanthanum over the next week to lower back to .1.

6 drops per day, dropping phosphate by .02 per day. I might take a break of dosing for a couple days to let things settle once phosphates measure .15 (about 5 days).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran it intermittently at times due to low nutrients. It is currently on again, but was off at the time of the incident.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t put enough disclaimers on what I’m about to suggest here….Moreover, Without actual hard data or scientifically documented procedures, suggesting a cure is borderline irresponsible….And most folks have a reputation to protect, I don’t…I’d rather see you get fixed so here goes…
Cloudy water, dead corals, mostly sps?
Dose peroxide, it might be the least risky, easily applied option here.
With additional disclaimers, the target dosage for efficacy is a moving target given the variables and volatiles…
Also I crashed a tank overdosing, but I was careless…

So in a throw at the wall and see what stick sorta way, there is a lot of margin for error in dosing H2O2 …even if it doesn’t work
Added: I did not give a dosage amount as I’d rather someone look up with others have done with H2O2 and decide their own risk tolerance. Most things have a wide tolerance except maybe shrimp and algae. Some dose it 24/7

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back