Reef Tank Maturity

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point is a reef tank matured and does it get better as time goes on?

My reef is just over a year old now. Fish are very healthy, corals are growing, I can see bacteria line in the sand were it meets the glass. I have some coralline spots but I think there should be more than there is. Over all a healthy tank.

Gordon

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it does depend on the tank size to a degree. The smaller the tank, the more difficult to keep stable. But, after a year, as long as you keep up with your maintenance, you should be a bit more at ease now.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point is a reef tank matured and does it get better as time goes on?

My reef is just over a year old now. Fish are very healthy, corals are growing, I can see bacteria line in the sand were it meets the glass. I have some coralline spots but I think there should be more than there is. Over all a healthy tank.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

A full tank picture will help to determine the maturity of a tank.

Any tank is a self-contained ecosystem. Once set up, it needs to be nurtured and cared for, just like a garden.

In general, I would consider your tank "matured" after a year. But was it a trouble-free year or did you run into problems along the way?

Dom

OP
OP
G

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gordon,

Any tank is a self-contained ecosystem. Once set up, it needs to be nurtured and cared for, just like a garden.

In general, I would consider your tank "matured" after a year. But was it a trouble-free year or did you run into

Hi Gordon,

In general, I would consider your tank "matured" after a year. But was it a trouble-free year or did you run into problems along the way?

Dom
Dom

I have been thinking about the micro biome of the tank and how it effects stability more than anything.

I have had some learning experiences along the way. It has been over 20 years since I had a reef tank setup. The technology has certainly changed. My biggest challenge has been nutrient control. I finally have things under control thanks to a media reactor with carbon & Phosphate media and a algae reactor.

I've lost some corals along the way. while some of the original 10 corals I bought for the tank are still going strong. I attributed those losses due to nutrient levels which maybe true but as I learn more about the micro biome perhaps the tank was not ready to support those corals.

Posted a photo of of my tank taken today. A photo from Dec. 5th and a photo when new.

Gordon

20240425_185634.jpg 20231205_092557.jpg 20230802_132935.jpg 20230503_122651.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dom

I have been thinking about the micro biome of the tank and how it effects stability more than anything.

I have had some learning experiences along the way. It has been over 20 years since I had a reef tank setup. The technology has certainly changed. My biggest challenge has been nutrient control. I finally have things under control thanks to a media reactor with carbon & Phosphate media and a algae reactor.

I've lost some corals along the way. while some of the original 10 corals I bought for the tank are still going strong. I attributed those losses due to nutrient levels which maybe true but as I learn more about the micro biome perhaps the tank was not ready to support those corals.

Posted a photo of of my tank taken today. A photo from Dec. 5th and a photo when new.

Gordon

20240425_185634.jpg

I like the progression of your tank. It appears to be a well established!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a year is maybe the point where things start to really settle in, but I think that progression continues for a long time and there is a difference between a typical 1 year old tank and a 10 year old tank. Where that point of diminished change happens, I have no clue. Just loose unscientific observation for having a single reef setup for 20+ years and watching numerous other local reefers systems in similar age brackets.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back