I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait i must have missed something

You dipped the whole coral?
Also in my testing it kills coraline algae

Yes i placed the corals in 100% peroxide bath, but not submerged, just enough so the affected areas were submerged. Don't get me wrong i know for a fact some peroxide go onto some fleshy spots but they all seem ok.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that is on par with the other threads, a set in invader can come back a few times, this is the makeup work for allowing it. scoop out sandbed area, wash outside of tank, put back. sandbed growths can even take longer than lr growths to arrest, since the fuel for the algae is directly underneath. Peroxide isn't offered as a one off fix, its a guided solution to attack algae that wont recycle a tank. only manual repeated work fixes direct farming of algae, a helpful takeaway here is acting on the first spot always, before it spreads, and using live rock spot tests to assess how well the kill can be sustained, as a prediction.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Brandon give me one hour and I will have a before and after shot of a rock I seeded with bryopsis!
I just love peroxide :)

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that stuff has quite the growback potential too, a deep-seater it is! id be very happy to see how that test rock winds up in a few mos, the number of retreats if any etc. we miss a lot of the sustainment reporting from these tanks.

People w let you know in six seconds if something doesn't work :) and when we don't hear from them again, im taking that as a polar opposite

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that is on par with the other threads, a set in invader can come back a few times, this is the makeup work for allowing it. scoop out sandbed area, wash outside of tank, put back. sandbed growths can even take longer than lr growths to arrest, since the fuel for the algae is directly underneath. Peroxide isn't offered as a one off fix, its a guided solution to attack algae that wont recycle a tank. only manual repeated work fixes direct farming of algae, a helpful takeaway here is acting on the first spot always, before it spreads, and using live rock spot tests to assess how well the kill can be sustained, as a prediction.

Will a sand siphon work? I do not have one as of now i just use my hands but will the siphon be strong enough to lift it out of the sand as it tumbles?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a half inch clear hose from Home Depot and when my sandbed misbehaves, it gets the hose~ I don't think the invader goes down deep, they just have holdfasts that link up with the surface of the grains really well. Standard prior removal and fragmentation explains a good portion of seed material for these grow back events

lawnmower blennies and hares and snails are decent control options as well after the major rocks are deemed clear and sustained

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all here it is!
What I did was seed a rock with bryopsis, I know I seeded bryopsis?
Took about 2 weeks to grow it out so here it is, the seeded rock!
20151221_103852.jpg

Now I did not scrub, pull off or do anything to the bryopsis before treatment
20151221_104027_001.jpg

I covered all the bryopsis with peroxide, and let sit for 5 minutes. It's fun to watch the bubbles!

Now after 24 hours we have this
20151222_101715.jpg

Absolutely killing it and I didn't even remove a single strand of it.
Hope you all like it!

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twilliard how is your set coming was curious~ also, did you get that telltale clean up crew thing where they attack the gray patches

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brandon absolutely no sign of the bryopsis.
The fish devoured the dead bryopsis.
I havent had a chance to do my other rock yet but will happen tomorrow now that my son is home!

mvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drained my tank and treated with hp. All algae is gone. I lost one of my cleaners, but that was the only issue. I'll take that for eradicating the bryopsis I had any day. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, skimmed through this thread. I had a couple of zoa frags that were getting some hair algae. I did a 5 minute dip this morning in a 4:1 3% ratio and I can already tell the difference. I am curious about the effects of H2O2 on vermetid slime nets. I haven't been able to find out the composition of the slime, but wondering if some targeting of some leftover nets on my gravel bed might break down any proteins holding it together?

I went on a vermetid crushing spree last night, so I am seeing some of the thicker brown slime and wondering about the medicine cup application a few pages back.

Has anyone noticed any effects on snail slime?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mvm and Shollis thank you for stopping in!

Regarding the bryopsis that's excellent it went so fast. If a little grows back its ok, nobody could fault a follow up run :)

hopefully you sustain an overall mass reduction and anything that's more long term for you has much less biomass to act on now, to me that's the benefit of action directly on a community of X invader. Peroxide can give you an initial upper hand in many cases, a tip in your favor, doesn't have to be long term method although it was for my tank.

Some tanks get grow back, no claim for total coverage here just a claim on the majority of attempts and a stronger claim to the list of sensitives and tolerant organisms.

What we want is to be able to survive an attempt and know what the sensitive organisms would be before starting, whether or not a cure can be had ranges among tanks. appreciate the input

zos that were healthy (low hydrodynamic profile) and interconnected before treatment rarely have issues after treatment with their own colonial support and cortical toughness. I've read of some color changes following a dip but nothing drastic noted

Regarding vermetid snails any input you have would be valuable I do not know anything about them at all, just that I wish their webs were not in my tank. When I feed cyclopeeze I want to see happy acans, not fifteen cast webs of cyclopeeze how in the world can they eat as much

I'd be willing to zap my own setup again if you show it works on them.

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped 2 coralline coated rocks in 1/2 fresh water and 1/2 3% peroxide. I let it fizz for about 5 minutes and then I put it back in the DT. A dozen or so huge pods were hiding and didn't make it and it bleached out the coralline. It also turned the dip water dark brown and dirty, but that rock is squeaky clean now. The hair algae still attached was being dined on by the clowns, starry blenny and the snails the following day and turning brown. I've been target dosing 3% (5ML syringe) at large patches and slowly soaking the area with the tip almost at the rock surface. Within 60 seconds a patch of hair algae lifts up and bubbles out where contact was made. No ill effects (and no benefits) so far dosing 10ml a day straight into the tank at night. We'll see how long it takes to see a change where I dosed within some large areas.

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test spots:

Center bubble area
waK4w1K.jpg

Top corner of rock with some flowing down the front
I have not ID'd whatever is growing there. They're bright green under actinic and look almost like polyps. Also some yellow ones around the other side.
ALwciOi.jpg

Bleached and treated rock
nopGiUC.jpg

QRwmYSV.jpg

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pics are laser clear! such fun discussing pastes and underwater spot treatments regarding your tank, this is working out nicely.

What we have here is classic eutrophication arrest, in the manner we use here
http://reef2reef.com/threads/algae-algae-algae.229043/

day 1
algae encroachment 100%

hash out ideas
opt for full cleaning, sandbed ejection, detritus removal, planning on extra detritus removal now that the rocks are unplugged, hit all with peroxide and scrub off, reassemble no cycle

day 2
brand new looking.
Growback prediction: mild and totally easy to control in small tanks where access is 100% easy. His tank can never have algae again with this cycle as a backup method, id call that rather profound reefing/cheating. Cheating in this case isn't bad, it implies skirting the status quo to get real results

:)

Dosing inside the tank when full, or to the topwater, is weaker contact and gets more growback, but that's often the only options for bigger stacked tanks. these pasting options reviewed in the above post are ideal for handling spots in larger tanks where rocks cant be removed.

These pics here are disassembly cleaning of an entire tank, we did hit the nutrients and the algae all at once. Sure beats a months long wait for some po4 filtering to starve it out while all else was left in the sandbed to repeat. Bout 24 hours turnaround time.

img_0254-jpg.298913

12527587_10208008325544209_142436223_n-jpg.299390

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 92 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back