Reefer 350 Leaking from Main Drain!

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 350 has been in use for roughly 8 years now, never had any issues with the plumbing until tonight. Came home from work and noticed that the main drain was gurgling extra. Looked inside and found what appears to be a leak at the threads where the valve connects to the threaded main pipe from the overflow. AFAIK I can't use plumbing tape on the threads, any advice or explanation why this is happening? I made sure it was tight so we can rule that out. Would appreciate any and all advice or help!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the disconnect might be split (overtightening will cause this, ime-sadly).

Shut the main pump off let it drain down and start disassembly and inspection. You might get lucky and only have to replace PVC below the bulkhead.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the disconnect might be split (overtightening will cause this, ime-sadly).

Shut the main pump off let it drain down and start disassembly and inspection. You might get lucky and only have to replace PVC below the bulkhead.

Keep us posted.
What should I be looking for?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I be looking for?
The ring that tightens down is likely to be split, or the area it tightens down on may have cracked under pressure.

I would guess it's the knurled ring, but I am guessing based upon the pickture

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Reefer 350 has been in use for roughly 8 years now, never had any issues with the plumbing until tonight. Came home from work and noticed that the main drain was gurgling extra. Looked inside and found what appears to be a leak at the threads where the valve connects to the threaded main pipe from the overflow. AFAIK I can't use plumbing tape on the threads, any advice or explanation why this is happening? I made sure it was tight so we can rule that out. Would appreciate any and all advice or help!

Likely the gasket for the union. Drain water in large pails until below the overflow box and it should stop running. Then disconnect and inspect gasket and for any cracks in piping

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ring that tightens down is likely to be split, or the area it tightens down on may have cracked under pressure.

I would guess it's the knurled ring, but I am guessing based upon the pickture
Looks like the plastic slightly chipped on the inner threads of the ring? No idea if this is the cause if it's always been like that from the factory? Kinda grasping at straws here

Likely the gasket for the union. Drain water in large pails until below the overflow box and it should stop running. Then disconnect and inspect gasket and for any cracks in piping
Do you mean the o-ring? I didn't see any cracks in the o-ring but it might not hurt to replace it at this age.

psidriven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely replace the oring. you can try wrapping it with plumbers tape a bunch and stick it back. it worked for me to reduce a steady leak to a slow drip.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely check to ensure the overflow box is water tight - my #1 gripe about my ProStar tank is that the overflow is not water tight so if I ever have a bulkhead issue it would be a really bad day

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely check to ensure the overflow box is water tight - my #1 gripe about my ProStar tank is that the overflow is not water tight so if I ever have a bulkhead issue it would be a really bad day
Unrelated but it does also seem to be a tiny leak from the bulkhead as well. Might be an o ring issue there as well. Weirdly enough that leak wasn't there before (in the first video) but now that I'm moving stuff around it seems maybe that o ring may be compromised? (yes the pipe is tight)
1000003513.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unrelated but it does also seem to be a tiny leak from the bulkhead as well. Might be an o ring issue there as well. Weirdly enough that leak wasn't there before (in the first video) but now that I'm moving stuff around it seems maybe that o ring may be compromised? (yes the pipe is tight)
1000003513.jpg
Hopefully this was not overtightened which would squeeze the gasket. If not you can try a quarter turn by hand to assure proper tightening. If tight already - do not attempt to tighten more

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like the plastic slightly chipped on the inner threads of the ring? No idea if this is the cause if it's always been like that from the factory? Kinda grasping at straws here

Do you mean the o-ring? I didn't see any cracks in the o-ring but it might not hurt to replace it at this age.

Yes, may be housing but again, gasket will seal if good with a hand tightening

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this was not overtightened which would squeeze the gasket. If not you can try a quarter turn by hand to assure proper tightening. If tight already - do not attempt to tighten more
At this point I have no choice but to leave the tank as is and go to sleep. New o rings and downpipe are ordered. All I can do is hope new rings on top will fix the bulkhead and the new pipe down below will fix that leak as well. I very much appreciate everyone's help and advice, not much else I can do but wait for parts to show up. 8 years strong on this tank I hope this isn't the end.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest issues I have had with these types of plumbing fittings is over tightening them. Over tightening crushes and distorts the gasket and they often fail later if they don't leak on the first assembly. They are made to be turned sung by hand, and then maybe a 1/4 turn more, by hand, so that the fitting slightly compresses the rubber. The light compression is more than enough to hold back the low pressure head of water that is present.

I like to use silicone grease (not the "sealant" just silicone grease) to help assemble these kinds of fixtures. I put a tiny bit on the threads and light coat on the o-ring or gasket rubber so that is doesn't catch when I am hand tightening the assembly.

I hate plumbing. I hate leaks. I post hoping that the replacement parts go together smoothly and stop this leak.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning update: bulkhead seems to be no longer leaking, and the leak on the downpipe has slowed. Idk how this makes any sense but I'm grateful.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Biggest issues I have had with these types of plumbing fittings is over tightening them. Over tightening crushes and distorts the gasket and they often fail later if they don't leak on the first assembly. They are made to be turned sung by hand, and then maybe a 1/4 turn more, by hand, so that the fitting slightly compresses the rubber
re-quote only to emphasize the accuracy here …
I have 6 Red Sea tanks… when I saw this post, the above thoughts were mind reading repeats
Added: uh this is a copy right infringement
… Red Sea has sometimes gotten me parts in a timely manner …but not every time ….

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure there is not a crack at the bottom of the standpipe (part that passes through bulkhead)? I have had cracks form there twice on my Reefer 350, seems like the plastic is very thin and that is a weak point. If you do remove the standpipe and reseat it in the bulkhead, you need to make sure the area where it seals in the bulkhead is perfectly clean-no sand grains etc. The O-rings etc on the Reefer plumbing are much less forgiving than a regular schedule 80 bulkhead.

OP
OP
ibob991

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure there is not a crack at the bottom of the standpipe (part that passes through bulkhead)? I have had cracks form there twice on my Reefer 350, seems like the plastic is very thin and that is a weak point. If you do remove the standpipe and reseat it in the bulkhead, you need to make sure the area where it seals in the bulkhead is perfectly clean-no sand grains etc. The O-rings etc on the Reefer plumbing are much less forgiving than a regular schedule 80 bulkhead.
I'm not sure about anything to be honest. At this point I'm just trying to guess based on the info being provided here. Never had a single issue with the tank since I constructed it. I guess after 8 years something is bound to become worn. I'm hesitant to touch the standpipe as the leak at the bulkhead seemed to be gone this morning. I'll take another look at it when I swap out the downpipe with the replacement and of course will have no choice to pull it if the replacement still leaks.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back