Reefer Filter Cups

H Street Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time voyeur, first time poster. If anyone else is in Northeast DC, please let me know.

I have a Red Sea Reefer Nano and am considering transitioning from the filter socks to the filter cups.

Others doing the same, what has your experience been like in doing this? Positive?

Also, what are you using in the filter cups? I was considering Chemi-pure Elite with a filter pad above it (that I would have to change out every few days).

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to change the topic before I posted. Sorry! Should be Reefer Filter Cups, not Zoas and Sponges (we'll save that for later).

Welcome to R2R and your new reefing community. Your title looks correct to me...wink, wink!

OP
OP
H Street Reefer

H Street Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried he filter cups. Not impressed. The water seems to prefer overflowing the top of the cup rather than going through media. I tried filter floss, purigen bags and both combined. I went back to socks. It's too bad, it's a good idea.

I was worried that would be the case! Thanks so much for the reply ThunderGoose.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I use the cups, both are full of pond matrix, I rarely run mechanical filtration. I did run some last weekend when I did some maintenance as you can see in the image. Since I wasn't running socks the cups were a nice addition to hold the matrix.

IMG_2230.JPG

Murraydar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some for my reefer. If you pack it with fine carbon or something else dense it tends to flow over the top of it a bit. Not all of the water spills through, water definitely gets through it.

Aquaden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time voyeur, first time poster. If anyone else is in Northeast DC, please let me know.

I have a Red Sea Reefer Nano and am considering transitioning from the filter socks to the filter cups.

Others doing the same, what has your experience been like in doing this? Positive?

Also, what are you using in the filter cups? I was considering Chemi-pure Elite with a filter pad above it (that I would have to change out every few days).
Properly set up the cups do not overflow but if clogged then a change is needed.
Have been chenging mine weekly but heavy loads should then be more frequent.
Much easier to clean.
Always messy no matter what method is used.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back