Reefroids? Benepets? Or what.

Flyingreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everybody use to feed their corals? Or do you just have better luck letting the fish do it? Does anybody have any luck with broadcast feeding? Especially for bigger tanks. Or is it much better to target feed?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What does everybody use to feed their corals? Or do you just have better luck letting the fish do it? Does anybody have any luck with broadcast feeding? Especially for bigger tanks. Or is it much better to target feed?
Reef roids but sparingly as it increases Phosphates and also Mysis shrimp

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots poop, reef roids, benepets. I use more reef roids when phosphates allow. Benepets are nice because it increases phosphate less. I also do live phyto plankton and Red Sea ab plus.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to make a milk! I use diy coral snow “calcium carbonate” with a cap of mb7, coral amino, zeobak, and tsp of reef roids! Let the mix sit for 5-10 min stir well and shut off my skimmer and return and pour the milk into my tank and just let it circulate for a hour or so.. kick the return and skimmer back on and enjoy! I do this twice a week!

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to make a milk! I use diy coral snow “calcium carbonate” with a cap of mb7, coral amino, zeobak, and tsp of reef roids! Let the mix sit for 5-10 min stir well and shut off my skimmer and return and pour the milk into my tank and just let it circulate for a hour or so.. kick the return and skimmer back on and enjoy! I do this twice a week!
What brand of calcium carbonate do you use with your coral snow?

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon Bio Cube. I feed one half teaspoon of reef roids weekly. Normally start with a small pipette target feedings my corals. Once I’ve successfully hit each of them I dump the remaining contents of the cup into the tank. I leave my filter and power heads off for about 15 minutes so everything can digest before starting them back up again.

Sometimes I add frozen misis to the reef roid mixture. This is in addition to daily fish feedings of prime reef flakes.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_2991.png
    IMG_2991.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 12

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Interesting thanks. Does your alk shoot up when dosing coral snow, or is the effect of the calcium carbonate on alk counter balanced with the activity of the bacteria?
the carbonate acts as a binder. doesn't do much or anything to your alk/cal. its meant for your skimmer to pull out the floating organics

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use benepets , A pinch of reef roids, fauna Marin coral sprint, redsea AB+.
(Always cautious with reef roids if you don’t have an ULN system as that stuff packs a lot of phosphate)
I also spot feed my larger LPS like acanthos, trachys, elegance and cynarina etc with anemone pellets when lights are out, I believe the food manufacturer is called vitalis

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thanks. Does your alk shoot up when dosing coral snow, or is the effect of the calcium carbonate on alk counter balanced with the activity of the bacteria?
Doesn’t change anything in the tank.. it’s basically chalk lol.. no chemistry to it.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the fish do it, additionally, the corals get the remnants of the fish food.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started, don’t have a great reference.

- reef Ab+ every day but Wednesday (no evidence this helps, but only used it a week so far) @ 1/4 - 1/2 dose

- reef roids/ benepets slurry every Wednesday (target and/or broadcast) - Euphyllia and Blastos definetly like it a LOT. Definite growth. Torches and hammers all split heads in 5 weeks. Obviously I have no point of reference if I wasn’t (would they split). But certainly the are fluffier after I feed them than before

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back