ReefSquad and R2R STAFF GIVEAWAY CONTEST

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Many of you may know me from screaming tags for help across the forums for the last year while I swallowed the pill called reefkeeping.

Painstakingly going through up after down and back again with sharp lessons learned, and the losses to show for my inexperience and overconfidence. But also, resurrection, and a comeback!

As the same for most, I have been through struggles abound.

Through it all, I always reached out for help. Across several channels of social media, seeking help, guidance, and answers... and I was shunned, criticized, dismantled and judged as a saltwater hobbyist. That is the response I ran into at every turn.

Except one. Here. #reef2reef . Where I was welcomed, warmly, and offered a helping hand, pm's and advice from strangers, and comforting and encouraging words and thoughts. It was my savior in this adventure. Where most quit, finding no help, I found sanctuary in the dark.

I could go on for far longer than anyone would like to read with my gratitude and thanks... but I will do it in my own way instead.

A giveaway. From my tank. To THREE reefsquad members. But there is a twist. To show just cause to the rapid response team here at r2r I will tag the infamous #REEFSQUAD , who are ALWAYS ready at a moments notice to leap small buildings to help a stranger succeed, Heres to you, all of you. With a twist ;)

The prize you ask?
20190424_221609.jpg
20190128_191316.jpg
20190405_214135.jpg
20190320_160614.jpg

1 head shipped to 3 winners' doors (international as well) of my prized DendroPhyllia Colony. It will be fragged within a month or two most likely. And if all goes well I would like to repay, in my own way, for everything you have all made possible. Not only with me, but also with countless others who have found the same comfort and appreciation I have on this site and forum.

THE CONTEST:

Tonight, after my DT lighting went out for the night, I decided to Spot feed my dendro colony with some mysis. As I stand next to my blackened tank with only a soft glow of a shaded lamp lighting my view, and my coral tube locked and loaded with mysis, a tubular worm less than an inch flew by my face on the inside of the tank. Caught up in the gyres flow. Faster than I have ever moved before, I caught it in a net. And secured it in a frag cup.

I have a well lit, in-focus video about 30 seconds long to use as an I.D. form rather than blurry pictures.

I had a moment of inspiration as I whipped open my r2r shortcut on my phone ready to post a request for I.D. on this creature in my cup.. that lead to this idea, and i had to do this. I felt obliged as a way to say thank you.

My build thread, Rags2Riches 125g in my signature, is approaching 10k views. When it does, I will post the video of what I found here in this thread.

When I post the video a 48hr hour timer will start. As if in a Tank Emergency. And #reefsquad will be summoned like Captain Planet to save my reef from this pestilence!! And you always answer the call. Sooo..

The first 3!!! Reefsquad OR #reef2reef STAFF members to CORRECTLY i.d. the tubular creature from beyond the depths of the nightmares, will receive their golden ticket to 1 head of my dendro at zero cost to them.

10k views is coming fast. Better save this one you little captain planet reef experts!!

Good luck!! And thank you for all you do for #r2rforlife and all of us and our reefs here that benefit from your dedication and patience!

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RichtheReefer21 you are awesome my friend and that DendroPhyllia is a stunning piece for sure! I will have to gracefully bowout to watch this one and cheer on my Squadie brothers and sisters since I'm going through a challenge with my system right now. Also my Critter ID supper powers and not as developed as some of the other members. But, down the road when things level out and ready for corals, if you have one for sale or trade I will be knocking on your door. :D

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea!

Tell you what, im ready, on ya marks, get set...…

Also when I win (yes!) the postage to the UK for live stock is going to be horrendous, so bless you for your kindness and generosity! lol

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea!

Also when I win (yes!) the postage to the UK for live stock is going to be horrendous, so bless you for your kindness and generosity! lol

;Greedy;Greedy;Greedy;Greedy ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the appreciation you are showing and I hope the 3 winners will be happy. This is a very cool thing that you are doing, @RichtheReefer21

I love the challenge of IDing odd and unusual critters as I often collect some when we snorkel the Florida Keys. But I'm way less proficient at critters from other far away seas and oceans!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RichtheReefer21 you are awesome my friend and that DendroPhyllia is a stunning piece for sure! I will have to gracefully bowout to watch this one and cheer on my Squadie brothers and sisters since I'm going through a challenge with my system right now. Also my Critter ID supper powers and not as developed as some of the other members. But, down the road when things level out and ready for corals, if you have one for sale or trade I will be knocking on your door. :D
That's the beauty of the dendro.

Its nps, and loves high nutrients. Cant really fail as long as u feed it and dont have enormous alk swings.

And I'm not awesome.
#reefsquad is awesome!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!
A very kind gesture on your part to say the least.
An awesome gesture for sure buddy!

This will be a challenge for sure as critter ID is not my thing...…...but I will try and hopefully its not a spider!

It's the least I could do for the effect this forum has had on my reef, and thus on my life.
Great idea!

The dendro isnt as sensitive as most coral. Being that its nps, some pods and a 3 day shipping rate will be sufficient I would think.

I have 26 babies growing currently. The income I will make from selling off the heads will pay for any shipping at all. Perhaps @Lasse may take one too. I think a touch of orange would be magnificent in his little water world.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, let's be honest... how often does @dbl and @mdbannister get rewarded for all their time pulling numbers and organizing sponsored events and giveaways?

Its ur time fellas. Have this thread flagged and be ready!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND REMEMBER. This can go into a fowlr tank as well, as long as routine water changes are done to maintain parameters within reason. They are not too fussy, the ca, dkh, and elements that it requires to calcify and build new stony bases will be satisfied by doing simple, regular water changes you are already doing.

Depending on ur livestock, it will THRIVE off the leftovers in the column from Predator feedings as well.

Good luck reefsquad!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very kind of you @RichtheReefer21 ! I too appreciate everyone here! I’m not a reefsquad member, but I still try to be welcoming, friendly and helpful.

They lead by example, and set a standard, vibes and energy that is contagious.

Theres a reason that reefers the world over call #r2r home.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 123 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back