Refractometer Calibration Fluid Question

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes because Rodi doesn't remove sodium from the water supply

Ridiculous on both points. RO/DI removes sodium ions, obviously, and pure water is not a good calibration for all refractometers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works as well... I just like distilled water because it's a guarantee that the Salinity will be 0

But it is definitely not a guarantee that you'll measure 35 ppt correctly. In fact, it DEFINITELY will be off if it is a perfectly made brine refractometer, which many are.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the container is open then it will evaporate, if it's sealed it should be fine... just be sure it's exactly 1.025 when you put it away

FWIW, the calibration fluid is usually 35 ppt, or sg = 1..0264. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the calibration fluid in the tiny bottles? I use it every other day and so i have to uncap it frequently.

Unless you leave it open for more than a short time, it won't noticeably evaporate within the specifications of a typical refractometer.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the calibration fluid in the tiny bottles? I use it every other day and so i have to uncap it frequently.
radicaltour, I don't know.
I stopped using the calibration fluid about 3 months ago.
I ran out and got lazy and thougt RODI would be close enough. I won't make that mistake again...

I didn't just pour the salt in display to make up my SG. I made an educated guess on how much extra salt to add, and did a slow 15 gallon (almost drip) water change. My educated (Lucky guess nailed my display from 1.021 to 1.025)

So the extra salt amount I added in my 15 gallons after I hit 1.025 was 7.5 more cups of salt.
On that note:
I have have not checked the Big 3 yet, but I figure I wont be dosing them for awhile :)

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ridiculous on both points. RO/DI removes sodium ions, obviously, and pure water is not a good calibration for all refractometers.
Ro does not remove all sodium in the water supply... up to 90% but it doesn't take into account if the sodium levels are high in your supply (as it can be in wells).

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro does not remove all sodium in the water supply... up to 90% but it doesn't take into account if the sodium levels are high in your supply (as it can be in wells).
Yes because Rodi doesn't remove sodium from the water supply

You said RODI, he said RODI, now you're saying RO...which would you like to stick with? One of them is wrong. ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You had said, and the the OP was using, RO/DI.
RO/DI removes nearly all sodium ions. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that Randy. I just like mixing to the left side of the meter to 1.025 sg. :D

That's fine. Once calibrated, you can mix to any level you want. :)

bgoldb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doesn't temperature come into play here? From my understanding, most refractometers need to be calibrated with solution at 25 degrees Celsius/77 degree F. Please confirm if this is necessary or if any temperature variance is insignificant in the calibration process.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my plan.

The next water change, I will be mixing to 1.025 and checking my meter to the 35 solution.
Once my new water change water hits 1.025 to my calibrated meter I'm going to store some of it in small clean bottles.

Then, I'll be calibrating the meter to 1.025 with the stored water in the future.

I'm going to store my 35 solution too as my long haul reference point.

Randy, Thanks for your time :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't temperature come into play here? From my understanding, most refractometers need to be calibrated with solution at 25 degrees Celsius/77 degree F. Please confirm if this is necessary or if any temperature variance is insignificant in the calibration process.
Bump

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back