Refugium idea?

cnjcpb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add a homemade Refugium to the pump compartment of my AIO? This is such a large space that’s not being utilized. What else can I do to configure the filtration better on this setup? See photos. I have it set up the way it shows currently.

IMG_1262.jpeg IMG_1261.png

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. The return zone is also where you set your water level, so if you end up getting an ATO or just want to check water level, it would happen there.

It's also, all told, a pretty small space which is relatively high flow (as high as any point in the sump), so it wouldn't provide a large benefit and would likely increase maintenance requirements for the pump.

Upvote 0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add a homemade Refugium to the pump compartment of my AIO? This is such a large space that’s not being utilized. What else can I do to configure the filtration better on this setup? See photos. I have it set up the way it shows currently.

I use this: HOB Breeder Box

It works great as a refugium!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cnjcpb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small refugium light on top with Chaeto. Grows like a weed. And no, Chaeto doesn't have to spin to grow.
will my normal tank lights not work? I will have to hang this on the side of my tank, not the back. Will that be a problem?

Upvote 0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will my normal tank lights not work? I will have to hang this on the side of my tank, not the back. Will that be a problem?

Your normal tank lights are over the tank. This hangs outside the tank, so you would need a separate light. Also, to create flow in the box, you need an air pump or a small water pump ( I use a water pump ).

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back