Refugium invertebrate ideas?

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished making my own DIY sump with a standard 10g tank for my 20g tank. I have a refugium in the middle and am looking for things I could add for algae control, and just to keep the refugium cleanish. I know ill have to scrub some algae but want to do as little as possible. I have some chaeto ready to add in too. I was looking to add:
  • Tuxedo Urchin
  • Mexican Turbo Snails
  • Peppermint shrimp
  • Emerald crab
I feel all would be beneficial, while urchin and turbo snails are like lawn mowers and the emerald crab can handle other algae plus bubble algae if i ever get an outbreak. Also i heard peppermint shrimp can help clean off the chaeto? I plan on just keeping 1" deep live sand bed with dry rock scattered throughout it, with the chaeto of course. What do you guys think about these invertebrates for the refugium? You think they are good? maybe ditch some? others to add? What about hermits crabs? would love to have some of those in there but wouldn't want them in there for no reason if they wont be beneficial.. thank you guys! :)

**Plus It looks like i have a couple tiny bristle worms crawling in the chaeto.. the top half looks yellow/tan while the bottom half is red/orangish.. hoping they are bristle worms and not fireworms because they would be beneficial for the refugium correct nothing to panic about?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you understand your situation pretty well. I only have a couple of urchins in my fuge and they have been happy there for a long time. If you have some algae in the fuge already, an emerald would be OK, but I don't think it will be happy with chaeto and would rather some other algae. The snails should be fine. I'm less sure about the peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
BaileyB

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you understand your situation pretty well. I only have a couple of urchins in my fuge and they have been happy there for a long time. If you have some algae in the fuge already, an emerald would be OK, but I don't think it will be happy with chaeto and would rather some other algae. The snails should be fine. I'm less sure about the peppermint shrimp.
Awesome thank you for the feed back, does anyone else have any opinions?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see what other reef squad members have to say.

#ReefSquad

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same ideas - but no urchins. After a while I understand that it was a "not of concern" task. The chaeto grow a lot and form a thick mass in the refugium - compete out all orther algae. A heavy, strong red/blue light and a lor of pods did the work. However - there is hermits, snails and whatever in the fuge today. Had some shrimps too but I suspect that Rhynchocinetes durbanensis will eat other macro algae than Chaeto. My caulerpa spp disapaer very fast after adding this shrimp. Now without shrimp - it grow well.

Sincerely Lasse

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 49 40.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 62 50.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back