Refugium rough draft

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g sump for 125g reef tank. I forgot to draw the heaters in, but one with skimmer and one with return pumps. This is the rough draft so far with maybe wool in first chamber instead of filter socks if it's easier to change out. Any thoughts?

Sump design.png

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like the refugium before the skimmer, it allows your macro algae the full content of the water. I’m also not a filter sock guy I use poly pads I make from a big roll from Walmart, a $30 bag lasts me a year. Once it’s dirty just toss it in the trash. Saves the wife yelling at me for using her washer lol

Kristophf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have one baffle after the skimmer chamber and water going over into a fuge, then a bubble trap and the return. Socks need to be changed and washed weekly i prefer wool but each to thier own. This is a sump imade for a nano. Since ive added wool in the first chamber, and flyscreen strips between the last baffles to stop stray bits of cheato going to the return chamber
4c2cf86f4f481a5a50620c019da3ada4.jpg

OP
OP
mrbluewildcats

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably will do something other than filter socks. Lots of people complain about them and cheap replacement > cleaning, lol. My thoughts on refugium placement was for lower flow and to avoid copepods going through skimmer. Certainly understand nutrients being removed prior to refugium would slow down macro algae growth.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably will do something other than filter socks. Lots of people complain about them and cheap replacement > cleaning, lol. My thoughts on refugium placement was for lower flow and to avoid copepods going through skimmer. Certainly understand nutrients being removed prior to refugium would slow down macro algae growth.

What if you keep the plan you have, but instead of adding water to refugium area from the return line, split the drain line flowing down from tank and have it supply the refugium too. This would keep most flow going into sock/skimmer portion and a smaller line to fuge with a valve to lower flow to where you want it, with some extra nutrients too.

OP
OP
mrbluewildcats

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you keep the plan you have, but instead of adding water to refugium area from the return line, split the drain line flowing down from tank and have it supply the refugium too. This would keep most flow going into sock/skimmer portion and a smaller line to fuge with a valve to lower flow to where you want it, with some extra nutrients too.

I also wanted the refugium to double as an emergency or quarantine tank so I could easily shut it off from the display completely. I guess I could still accomplish this if I ran part of the drain to supply it under normal operation. I could get a little more flow from the return line with the current plan, though there's no real reason I couldn't do both. Thanks.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back