Refugium

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the point in a refugeum? I want to diy a hob filter and modify it to be a ref.

What does it do?

Can I put things like hermits and snails in it to keep it clean?

Could I put activated carbon in it to keep the water clear?

Cheers.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugiums are primarily meant to grow macro algae (seaweed) which removes nitrate and phosphate from an aquarium. It also comes with the benefit of removing carbon dioxide as well as acting as a safe haven for microfauna such as copepods and amphipods.

A HOB filter typically isn't a good refugium as it is hard to keep the algae to stay in it. Hermits and many snails will eat the macro algae so it isn't a good idea.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
Refugiums are primarily meant to grow macro algae (seaweed) which removes nitrate and phosphate from an aquarium. It also comes with the benefit of removing carbon dioxide as well as acting as a safe haven for microfauna such as copepods and amphipods.

A HOB filter typically isn't a good refugium as it is hard to keep the algae to stay in it. Hermits and many snails will eat the macro algae so it isn't a good idea.
I see. So the algae will help to stop nussense algae growing in the main tank?

Thanks for responding.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back