Regal Angle Has Not Eaten For 2 Weeks.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this:

My Regal took to this when introduced and was finicky...

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was a post on another board from Jan of 2015. I had totally forgotten about this fish. It really works if you put the effort in!

"
Tube feeding success - regal angel
i just wanted to describe another successful transition from fasting to feeding with the aid of tube feeding.

I purchased a regal angel. From day one it refused frozen mysis, brine and shad roe. It refused raw fresh oyster, clam and mussel. I also tried fresh squid, frozen menhaden and flake food. The only interest is showed in food was following a 1 inch grass shrimp around the tank. After two weeks of fasting and having never seen the fish pick at the rock work, or lettuce in the tank, I started tube feeds with the use of tricaine and Stat, a high calorie liquid supplement for newborn sheep, horses, and other livestock. I've used Stat in the past for my sharks. I started the feeds before the fish really started to thin out.

About 10 days (5 feeds) after doing forced feeds every other day, tonight the fish started eating flake food right out of the water column. I'm really excited because never has the fish shown interest in food.

I just wanted to restate how helpful this technique this can be. This fish could of course started eating on its own, but it's been shown that the longer the fish fasts, the greater the chance it develops GI dysfunction and loses the ability to absorb nutrients from its food, even if it does start eating.

Anyway, I highly recommend considering it and to start long before their bellies looks "pinched". I wish I videoed this fish, but in I will repost the one I did In the past."

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to do the tube feeding I have never used clove oil or any type of sedative. They seem to handle it fine without. I used a 25 gauge IV catheter for my tiny baby regal and a 20 gauge catheter for a larger regal. I like the IVs because they are pretty much exactly the right length to reach the stomach and they slide in easily. Just have to make sure the are going down the throat and not out the gills.

OP
OP
yepreef

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i decided not to do tube feeding because of my nerves, it seems hard for me. I keep feeding/adding food into tank and out of nowhere today he started to nip at mysis, took 3 weeks. I have no idea how he survives for 3 weeks without eating.
Thanks everyone

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back