Reliable LFS for fish

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have a favorite reliable LFS to buy live stock from?
When I say reliable, I mean one that sells fish in good health with good survival rate and only rarely encounter diseased fish.

I am a newbie building my first tank and looking for a trusted provider on the East side possibly, Bellevue, Renton, etc...

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say reliable, I mean one that sells fish in good health with good survival rate and only rarely encounter diseased fish.

I am a newbie building my first tank and looking for a trusted provider on the East side possibly, Bellevue, Renton, etc...

Very honestly, your not going to find a store anywhere that is free of diseases. You have to understand that fish come in massive shipments from wholesalers and fish get placed in the same tank as existing and new addition fish each week. If any one single fish has a disease, they all have it, and the whole system and all the tanks that are connected also can and most likely are infected. This is not a jab at any LFS, but its simply not economically feasible or profitable to take the steps really needed to properly QT and treat each fish, then tear the system down, sterilize, repeat. Its just not going to happen.

Its up to you to QT properly and ensure that your fish are healthy before you add them into your main system. Most vendors on here will sell and ship 'healthy' fish. But again, its up to you to QT and treat for diseases before adding to your system.

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very honestly, your not going to find a store anywhere that is free of diseases. You have to understand that fish come in massive shipments from wholesalers and fish get placed in the same tank as existing and new addition fish each week. If any one single fish has a disease, they all have it, and the whole system and all the tanks that are connected also can and most likely are infected. This is not a jab at any LFS, but its simply not economically feasible or profitable to take the steps really needed to properly QT and treat each fish, then tear the system down, sterilize, repeat. Its just not going to happen.

Its up to you to QT properly and ensure that your fish are healthy before you add them into your main system. Most vendors on here will sell and ship 'healthy' fish. But again, its up to you to QT and treat for diseases before adding to your system.

Absolutely, I do understand that QT is necessary and that disease is likely. Maybe I phrased my question wrong and should have said that I am looking for fish that's not too sick :)

My goal is to find out if there is a trusted LFS that reliably provides fish is decent health knowing that I still need to QT all new fish.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, I do understand that QT is necessary and that disease is likely. Maybe I phrased my question wrong and should have said that I am looking for fish that's not too sick :)

My goal is to find out if there is a trusted LFS that reliably provides fish is decent health knowing that I still need to QT all new fish.

I would browse the sponsor resellers on here, most have and sell 'healthy' fish more or less. I would always ask (especially if I am buying online) to see how long the fish have been at the store (longer is usually better), if they are eating and what, and if they have take a video showing it eating.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 stores in the area I would recommend checking out in person. Saltwater City in Bellevue, Barrier Reef in Newcastle and Denny’s Pet World in Kirkland. You can make your own determination as to whether you would trust them to make a live purchase but they are the best in the area.

Stevie-Tv253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater city is small but has nice stock. Little amazon is not in the greatest shape but i have always had great success with their corals. recently moved to tacoma and found aquarium paradise... its huge! but not a lot of stock. Does anyone know if Red C is still open? im sure a quick google would answer that. need to venture out to barrier reef.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barrier Reef is a little hard to find if you don’t know exactly where it is. It’s the opposite of Aquarium Paradise, it’s small but it has a ton of stock. I was in the area where Red C is the other day and was going to swing by and see if they were still open but I had a work thing come up and I never made it over there. No idea if it’s still there or not.

Stevie-Tv253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time i was at red c there was a lot of marital issues going on and he was price gouging like no other! was sad to see! tried telling me each tenticals on a frog spawn was called a head and was 10 buck each! i loved his inventory but never went back after that. i need to check out sea king. Never heard of it. As for barrier reef i ride a harley and make youtube videos! that would make for a good adventure/episode!

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went by SeaKing on Thursday. They have a large selection of corals at great prices. I was impressed. Especially with the selection of Hammers, torches and Acans. When my tank is ready for coral I will definitely be throwing some business their way.

Roc83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be honest I only buy from live aquaria online.

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the crew at Barrier, but I live in Renton so . . . . . There is also a fair number of coral frags at a local shop in Renton called Sierra Pets. You will find they are less expensive than Barrier. More of a freshwater shop, very few saltwater fish, but more coral. I buy all my stuff local or from club members.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back