Remote Sump

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at doing a remote sump right beside my tank. Does anyone have any pics or links for ideas and info? Thanks

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering if I should just keep the same design idea as if were going under the tank, except everything running from right to left as opposed to left to right. Skimmer in the first section, then have the return in the middle and large Fuge at the end.(far right)?

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would keep the layout as if it was under the tank... that way the drain lines wont be as long..
having the longer return lines wont really matter with the pump you got..

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but if I did that the skimmer section would be to the far right. I would think the overflow needs to go into the first section.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i'm not a fan of the (rtn;skim/drain;fuge) layout.. i prefer (drain;skim;fuge;rtn)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why it would be any different IMHO all sumps are remote lol.... I would set it up normal drain,skim,fuge, return.... You always want the raw water processed by the skimmer...

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are correct, they are all "remote". I'm just using the word that people use when it's not directly under the tank. And yes, the sump I think is just going to be setup in reverse, as it wouldve have been if under the tank with the return going back to the far end (left) of the tank. I was just wondering if there were any advantages to having the overflow split to the fuge on the far end and having the return in the middle?

I know without a drawing of some sort this is not going to be really clear. But a few guys on here were at my house last night and know exactly what I'm talking about. I still would really like to just see pics or threads with one sitting right beside the DT.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what your talking about... I don't care for that style personally... You can't use a bubble trap or anything and normally run into micro bubble issues... Honestly thou man I have made hundreds of sumps and nothing beats a regular plain Jane sump skimmer, fuge, return.... I mean look at my set up I can have any style I want and I have a plain sump just skimmer then 3 baffles and a return... I don't believe in fuges myself either I like super high flow and use it for equipment and extra water volume only... Just my 2 lol
Yes, you are correct, they are all "remote". I'm just using the word that people use when it's not directly under the tank. And yes, the sump I think is just going to be setup in reverse, as it wouldve have been if under the tank with the return going back to the far end (left) of the tank. I was just wondering if there were any advantages to having the overflow split to the fuge on the far end and having the return in the middle?

I know without a drawing of some sort this is not going to be really clear. But a few guys on here were at my house last night and know exactly what I'm talking about. I still would really like to just see pics or threads with one sitting right beside the DT.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnndddd....3 months later, this is what happend

download1.jpg

Back