Removing copper

Hnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm looking for ways to remove copper. I set up a QT tank awhile back and no longer need one. I have a powerhead and some filter socks I'd like to reuse for my DT. What's the best way to remove the copper from these items where it can be safely introduced back into my DT? Thanks!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm looking for ways to remove copper. I set up a QT tank awhile back and no longer need one. I have a powerhead and some filter socks I'd like to reuse for my DT. What's the best way to remove the copper from these items where it can be safely introduced back into my DT? Thanks!
I would just soak them in a bleach solution to be sure everything is good and sanitary.

I would not think either of those would absorb much copper and then leach back into the DT.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use of poly filter with carbon or cuprasorb will remove copper from the system.
Once you stop registering copper on poly filter, take the filter socks out and wash them in bleach in washing machine, let them air dry for a day or 2.
For powerhead, simply place it in a bucket of bleach or vinegar solution and run it for a few hours then air dry as well for couple of days.
Then they should be safe to use in main tank.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach will remove the bio film and meds in the tank and equipment; vinegar will precipitate any copper into a harmless form. Rinse, rinse, rinse, and then completely dry. And if you are really paranoid, maybe because of the tank having something nasty like velvet, etc. You could give everything one more rinse with hydrogen peroxide. Rinse, rinse, rinse and dry.

sarinaruu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use of poly filter with carbon or cuprasorb will remove copper from the system.
Once you stop registering copper on poly filter, take the filter socks out and wash them in bleach in washing machine, let them air dry for a day or 2.
For powerhead, simply place it in a bucket of bleach or vinegar solution and run it for a few hours then air dry as well for couple of days.
Then they should be safe to use in main tank.
what kind of bleach ratio/ vinegar ratio would you recommend? i never use bleach so it’s a little scary

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of bleach ratio/ vinegar ratio would you recommend? i never use bleach so it’s a little scary
50/50 vinegar is best if you dont wanna mess with bleach.
bleach would be just a capful in a 5 gal bucket but after taking the powerhead out rinse well and let it air dry for 24 hrs in hot sun or in front of a fan etc.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back