replacing trim on 180gal.

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pick up a 180gal. The trim is ugly and on one side it is missing. Has anyone replace trim with wood molding or something else. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

jgalen0025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to burst your bubble but the trim is usually really hard to get off with out ruining the glass and I would also do a leak test before going to all that trouble. The only reason I say that is because if there is missing trim it is most likely that they tried to remove it to fix or reseal the tank. The best person to answer your question is uncle06, as he is an expert.

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced the trim on my old 125 once. With a little careful work with a razor blade it came off pretty easily. I just ordered the replacement trim through a LFS . The tank ran fine after the swap.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to burst your bubble but the trim is usually really hard to get off with out ruining the glass and I would also do a leak test before going to all that trouble. The only reason I say that is because if there is missing trim it is most likely that they tried to remove it to fix or reseal the tank. The best person to answer your question is uncle06, as he is an expert.
I am to reseal it. the trim can off on its on and more is loose. I can get it off just want It to look nice after I reseal it.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced the trim on my old 125 once. With a little careful work with a razor blade it came off pretty easily. I just ordered the replacement trim through a LFS . The tank ran fine after the swap.
ok I will check my lfs. thanks

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why you cant build your own trim. Just as long as it is tight to the glass and strong, it will serve the same purpose. Might be an opportunity to try something crazy.

toliy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uncle06, I have a question for you. I have a 180 gallon fish tank, that needs the top trim replaced. Where can I order one ? I tried 3 local fish stores and they said they can’t get it for me. Thank you!

toliy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Eric, I know this been a while ago. But how much all the LFS in my area, say they can’t order me the trim? I have a 180 tank I bought that needs a new top one and now I can’t find a trim anywhere

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back