Rescue Reef/Reefing Reborn

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, new member, not new to aquariums.
I've had aquariums nearly all my life, but got out of the hobby around 10 years ago after battling an illness and the bills there after.
Recently, I came across someone in the same situation, though they dragged the getting out part for way too long. A 10 gallon little reef, that pretty much hadn't been cared for in 8 months.
From what I've been told, the tank hadn't been cleaned or had a water change for at least 8 months. 6 months ago, the lights failed and we're never repaired/replaced. The algae was thick enough you couldn't see in to the tank from any side.
I took over the tank. Between what I had laying around and what they had, it's at least a start.
Somehow, some things did survive. There is currently a maroon clown and a yellow goby in there. Yes, I know neither have any business in a 10 gal, I'm currently trying to rehome. Also, a single mushroom and a galaxea somehow made it, but barely (both were near translucent, the mushroom the worse).
Currently I've got a koralia in there. A little hob filter for just a bit of flow and to run some carbon (no other media in it). I found a 10W 14K LED spotlight laying around, and gutted his old oddysea T5 fixture that was nonop and mounted that inside. The lights something I'm not real sure on, I got out of the hobby right before leds really came in, so not too versed on those.
I've had it running around 2 weeks now and the galaxea has gotten some nice color returned to it. The mushroom has been slower to recover, but it has gotten some color back, it was pretty much clear when I started.
I know this doesn't look so good now, I should have taken pictures at the start, but here's how it sits now, it looks 100X better:
20170212_191940.jpg

20170212_192004.jpg

20170212_191945.jpg

When digging around in storage, I found and old 30ish or so gallon, thinking this might actually just end up a sump for that...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Good luck on the rehab of that little tank. I'm betting you'll get it looking fantastic. :)

OP
OP
TroutbumNV

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words!
Our only aquarium store in town doesn't accept any kind of trade ins or livestock [emoji53] so I've turned to craigslist to try and get the fish rehomed. Hopefully that might work, that maroon specially is fairly large, don't like them being in this small tank.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and good luck getting the tank back in to shape. I'm sure you'll be sharing progress pictures before you know it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words!
Our only aquarium store in town doesn't accept any kind of trade ins or livestock [emoji53] so I've turned to craigslist to try and get the fish rehomed. Hopefully that might work, that maroon specially is fairly large, don't like them being in this small tank.
Welcome to R2R
See if you can find a local reef club. link here is the local reef club page and maybe you can find someone local to trade with:)

OP
OP
TroutbumNV

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
See if you can find a local reef club. link here is the local reef club page and maybe you can find someone local to trade with:)
I found/posted in that, but it's been about a year since anyone has posted in the one local to me.
Got a few hits off of craigslist, currently "interviewing" those to see if the fish would be a fit.

OP
OP
TroutbumNV

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! The fish have been rehomed! They are going to a beautiful, well established 120g reef!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back