Rescuing and fostering marine fish and invertebrates, how can we help?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question is springing up from my "thread of the day" yesterday:

It seems like there may be an unquantified and unmet need for helping marine fish and invertebrates find new tanks. Casual hobbyists may lack clear guidance and connections to other reefers for finding new homes for the fish they thought would work but turns out don't. I imagine the LFS fills most of this need in the form of returned livestock and store credits. I also found facebook groups dedicated to rehoming fish.

1692041530764.png

credit @littlefoxx and her beautiful purple tang.

I know in my case, I've gone to local forums to find people to take tank inhabitants that I couldn't care for: my Saron shrimp that I couldn't get to eat, a bleached torch that I couldn't get back in shape, urchins and turbos once I didn't have algae left for them (Ok, I did hand feed them for months, but finally figured they'd be happier in a tank with algae!)...

So how would fostering for marine fish and invertebrates work?
1. Set up a separate foster tank? Or into your DT? If in your DT, how are you getting them out?
2. Is the stress of moving from tank to tank too great? Or is it still a good deed?
3. What happens when your foster fish/invert doesn't get along with the others?
4. Do you put them through QT?
5. Stick to rehoming locally? Or would you ship?

Lots of questions on if/how this would work. First and foremost, is there a need? Maybe this has all been covered already. Maybe the experts want to chime in and point us in the right direction! And THANK YOU to those of you out there already doing this.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Probably a separate tank, where you can easily catch them.
2. Depends on the health of the fish, state of the old tank, etc.
3. See #1.
4. If they're becoming part of my reef, probably not. Otherwise...
5. Probably locally. Shipping is an option if the receiving party is willing to spring for it.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question is springing up from my "thread of the day" yesterday:

It seems like there may be an unquantified and unmet need for helping marine fish and invertebrates find new tanks. Casual hobbyists may lack clear guidance and connections to other reefers for finding new homes for the fish they thought would work but turns out don't. I imagine the LFS fills most of this need in the form of returned livestock and store credits. I also found facebook groups dedicated to rehoming fish.

1692041530764.png

credit @littlefoxx and her beautiful purple tang.

I know in my case, I've gone to local forums to find people to take tank inhabitants that I couldn't care for: my Saron shrimp that I couldn't get to eat, a bleached torch that I couldn't get back in shape, urchins and turbos once I didn't have algae left for them (Ok, I did hand feed them for months, but finally figured they'd be happier in a tank with algae!)...

So how would fostering for marine fish and invertebrates work?
1. Set up a separate foster tank? Or into your DT? If in your DT, how are you getting them out?
2. Is the stress of moving from tank to tank too great? Or is it still a good deed?
3. What happens when your foster fish/invert doesn't get along with the others?
4. Do you put them through QT?
5. Stick to rehoming locally? Or would you ship?

Lots of questions on if/how this would work. First and foremost, is there a need? Maybe this has all been covered already. Maybe the experts want to chime in and point us in the right direction! And THANK YOU to those of you out there already doing this.
:) Mad Max is very beautiful in her own way! And I had planned to do this with a spare tank until I got sick and had surgery, but I dont really find too much of a need. Most of the ones I find or are called about are from recent shipments and people surrendering them. Ive got a few clowns this way, a maroon who is in my 70 and the pair of black and white ones! I really dont find too many of them to justify making a tank, at least in my area. I usually take them myself if they are a good fit for my tank!

Edit: personally I get too attached to oddball and rescue fish that they become apart of my reef!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I feel like ReefPro would try and sell @littlefoxx ’s purple tang for 5 figures as some rare variant. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I have a couple rescues. My formerly HLLE regal and my banded snake eel. However I think the key is educating and self control. If people would stop buying sweetlips, twin spot wrasse, and other 2’+ fish we wouldn’t need as many rehomes. Same goes for aggressive and shy fish and so on. All fish have their own personalities but there are usually norms.

What annoys me is when you find a fish at an LFS that needs help but the LFS won’t give it away or even sell at a lower price. One of my LFS’s had a Goldspotted snake eel that they’d literally forgotten about for 2 months. When I saw it was so emaciated but they refused to reduce their $400 price tag. I might have been able to save it. They just fed it mysis shrimp which as you can imagine is rediculous for a 2ft eel.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @littlefoxx and I talked about before, I would easily take in everything if I could. Everything in here I got for free. Everything was destined for the garbage I just couldn't have that.
Never did coral until a couple of years ago and learned quickly.
This 20 gallon is hooked to the sump of my big tank. Thinking about another addition of a 38 to the same system to save a couple more wayward creatures but the time space and money is a concern. Not only how much more time it takes.
There is a big need for this. Wish I had more ideas on what to do.
20230801_182545.jpg

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. My LFS is petco and the only store anywhere around. Their policies are rigid and in my opinion wrong.
Luckily my buddy was the fish manager and who I got all this from.
The new manager is great. Takes awesome care and has a lot of pride.
Small-town petco is a little different.
But he's rigid on the rules and it sucks.
He's got one in there now that should come home with me but he won't budge.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. My LFS is petco and the only store anywhere around. Their policies are rigid and in my opinion wrong.
Luckily my buddy was the fish manager and who I got all this from.
The new manager is great. Takes awesome care and has a lot of pride.
Small-town petco is a little different.
But he's rigid on the rules and it sucks.
He's got one in there now that should come home with me but he won't budge.
I hate petco! They treat their fish just horrible. Freshwater is bad but the saltwater section… clearly run by people who think fresh and salt are the same

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back