Researching and Learning!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Probably the most common piece of advice given to someone starting in the saltwater hobby is to be patient. I would say that my one piece of advice, other than the above, is to start simple. A fish-only saltwater tank can be as easy as a freshwater tank the main differences being that the main filtration is rock rather than media, the salt and maintaining certain parameters. The challenge is that saltwater inhabitants are used to a more stabile environment than their freshwater compatriots. With a few principles under your belt and being patient so as not to introduce too much instability at once, a fish-only saltwater tank is similar to a freshwater fish-only tank. It is also far less expensive than a mixed reef with diverse coral colonies. Once you have the basics you can progress in any direction you want without wasting finances or having too many different habitat requirements in the tank at once. Ask questions on R2R whenever you are undecided. The people here will be glad to help. 52 weeks of reefing was a good series on BRS but I actually think it is a bit of overkill for someone just starting up. Many of the topics are not needed to get started. BRS TV did a series a few years back where they built two tanks, an AIO and a 40 Breeder. I think it was called 5 Minute something or something 5 Minute. It should be easy to find. The 40 Breeder, which I think is a really nice size for a first tank, setup they did used HOB filtration which I think would be familiar to many moving into saltwater from the freshwater realm.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m from Iowa, have been obsessed with aquariums and small worlds alike since I was younger. Currently have a 37G freshwater, and a 10G freshwater. Every time I go to the LFS or an aquarium, I find myself glued to the saltwater tanks. I love the unique and colorful fish and corals.

I have always been told that saltwater is so difficult, but I have been hearing lately that it can be just as easy, if not easier than fresh.

Decided I would start researching and learning about Saltwater tanks, as much as I can to decided if this is a spectator sport or if I want to jump into the game.

Not thinking of doing anything too large if I get into it, at most I would want to do is around 40G, but would be interested in something smaller too. Brand new to the hobby so really just looking to learn anything and everything I can. Any tips or suggestions for a newcomer? If you were able to tell everyone just one thing about saltwater tanks, what’s the 1 thing you would tell them?
Ahhhh, welcome. Salt water is not harder or easier it’s just different. Learning is always fun and rewarding. A lot of us have gone from one type to the other over the years.
Take it slow and enjoy the journey

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m from Iowa, have been obsessed with aquariums and small worlds alike since I was younger. Currently have a 37G freshwater, and a 10G freshwater. Every time I go to the LFS or an aquarium, I find myself glued to the saltwater tanks. I love the unique and colorful fish and corals.

I have always been told that saltwater is so difficult, but I have been hearing lately that it can be just as easy, if not easier than fresh.

Decided I would start researching and learning about Saltwater tanks, as much as I can to decided if this is a spectator sport or if I want to jump into the game.

Not thinking of doing anything too large if I get into it, at most I would want to do is around 40G, but would be interested in something smaller too. Brand new to the hobby so really just looking to learn anything and everything I can. Any tips or suggestions for a newcomer? If you were able to tell everyone just one thing about saltwater tanks, what’s the 1 thing you would tell them?
Welcome to R2R! you are in the right place. People here will be happy to help guide you in the right direction with saltwater. This is a great, fascinating hobby for sure!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back