Return Pump Selection

SeaMonkeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am upgrading my reef tank from a 150 gallon to a 240 gallon tank. I currently have a Reeflo Yellowtail pump since the sump and tank are on different floors of the house and that created a fair amount of head pressure. The new tank will be on the same floor of the house with the sump around 10' behind the tank in a separate room. There will be two 3/4" return points drilled in the tank and wanted to know what other peoples thoughts are on what pump to get. I thought about reusing my current return pump but I feel it may be too big and I am tired of the noise and added heat to the room. Also changing out seals is not something I would like to do again. So I am currently looking at the Sicce Syncra ADV 9.0. Would this pump be too much flow? Should I go with two return pumps instead? My requirements for the new pump are it must be reliable, quiet and would be nice if it did not produce as much heat. Also I don't see the point in spending a ton on an Abyzz so that is out. Thanks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a current eflux pump and it is super quiet and a great deal for the price.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to go with two return pumps just for redundancy's sake. Not sure which brand though!

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend 2 in case one fails. You probably want the total GPH rating to be 3x-5x the tank volume. Using a short run of tubing between the pump and return line should help with vibrations. Good luck!

OP
OP
SeaMonkeys

SeaMonkeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I think the two pumps would be be better. I will have to look into the Eflux pump. Does anyone have any experience with the Sicce Syncra ADV pumps?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back