Revhtree says that "Sometimes it's OK to take a break from the hobby."

What's the longest break you've ever taken from the hobby?

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less than 1 year

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • 10+ years

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I have never took a break

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Add this to the list of things I thought I would never say! But if we're being honest, then there are times and circumstances that it's in our best interest and the best interest of our livestock for us to "take a break" from the reefing hobby. The photo below was of my 400g basement reef that I took down for good reason, to sell the house and move!

How do you feel about that and what are some good reasons to take a break from the hobby?

NEWS.gif

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess if you die it's ok for your family to rehome your fish and gear, but other than that I can't really think of anything. Can we get a welfare check on @revhtree, sounding unwell in this post?

I sold my display while building a new house, but was able to keep frag tangs at a buddies shop. I contemplated shutting everything down. If I didn’t have a good friend in the hobby I would have.

This was my exact reasoning and it's still going on! I thought by now I would have been further along and I sure am missing reefing! Luckily I got my son-in-law into reefing and have been helping him a little and living though his new venture to keep me grounded! :p

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess if you die it's ok for your family to rehome your fish and gear, but other than that I can't really think of anything. Can we get a welfare check on @revhtree, sounding unwell in this post?
But for real, I think there are tons of legit reasons to take a break. This is a hobby after all, so things like family, finances, relationships, living situation etc. . . are all legit reasons to take a break.

Think a mental break is totally reasonable too. I mean if your heart isn't in it ATM you aren't doing yourself or your critters any favors by forcing yourself to chug along.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my exact reasoning and it's still going on! I thought by now I would have been further along and I sure am missing reefing! Luckily I got my son-in-law into reefing and have been helping him a little and living though his new venture to keep me grounded! :p
Building a house is an adventure. I contracted our house out myself so it was interesting. Finally have a 180 up and running, it was worth the wait.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i haven't taken a break yet. When i entered the hobby in 2021, it was my first time coming into the SW side as i've done FW for some time. i did take an extended break from FW though, prior to entering SW.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I had big reefs in the 90s . Spending money like it grew on trees . Latest equipment corals more more and more corals then better lighting and needed the best . Then I had my daughter instead of a corals it was shoes clothing toys and more toys then she grow out of them so more clothes food food food food . And I nearly forgot house cars now university £££££££ . So now I do small nano cheaper and keep the money in my pocket not the LFS

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years ago between young children, a baby, and long hours at the office, my 29 gallon BioCube started going down hill quick b/c i wasn't giving it the attention it needed.

Fast forward 3 years and I'm back in the hobby with a little 5 gallon eShopps Deskmate! It's something that I sit in front of daily Mon-Fri, and give it the daily maintenance that it needs and dosn't take up a lot of my time.

That being said, it was good for me to take a pause when I did, and now I"m back in and going full steam ahead! Still want to get back into a bigger tank down the road...but baby steps for now!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a very difficult hobby to take a break from given the amount, size and expense of equipment and our potential emotional attachment to our livestock. Some consider their fish every bit a part of their family as say a dog or cat. You can't really take a break from the family dog, for instance.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its never ok to be apart from the hobby, have at least a large mason jar reef

think: scalability / always find a way says the force

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I understand why people get out/take breaks from the hobby. It's very time consuming and takes a lot of energy to upkeep, but for me I'll never stop unless something catastrophic happens.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life got busy and I neglected my tank for 5 months if that counts as taking a break. Recently got time again and decided to start it back up.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a break from SW back in 1992 to work seasonally in fisheries, still managed a couple small fw setups in my travels. I went into reefing in 2000 and never left, but sometimes my tank was more fowlr than reef.

billrob71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost all my live stock due to a power problem when I was away shut everything down for 5 years, just started the tank back up in February .

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back