revised 10g sump plan and overflow

reeftankgirl13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on converting my HOB filter into an over flow box by cutting a hole in the bottom and running a PVC to sump. Could anyone tell me how many gph a 1 in PVC transfers? I could go bigger or smaller if needed. The pump that goes back to DT pumps at 110 gph so I'd have to match that to get equal input and output. What size PVC transfers that many gph? Here is my rough sketch of sump plans...using acrylic baffles with ge silicone calking clear
IMG_20130404_222731_265.jpg

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1" PVC can do 1000gph on the pump side, but won't drain at that rate. You want your drain to be double the size of your return. If you're using 1" return make your drain 2"
Mine is 1" drain so I'm using 1/2" return.
Here's my DIY sump
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365129611.340296.jpg

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your planning on using a glass tank, my local glass company cut me 5 pieces for 17 bux. Acrylic and silicone don't like eachother that much.

OP
OP
R

reeftankgirl13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually following your day trying to figure out the overflow but I think j figured most of it out by the pics the sump looks good btw. Oh really? Hmmm is there any other bonding agent that would work for acrylic? I ready have the baffles. Should I try it anyway just for kicks? I will probably go with the 1" and 1/2" PVC cause 2" seems big.

OP
OP
R

reeftankgirl13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diy* grrr auto correct always thinks I'm spelling day **** you smart phone don't you know abbreviations! You are supposed to be SMART

BeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is strongly advised not to use your HOB to remove water from DT, uness your modifying it to to not use its pump, if you do the problem being, if one of your two pumps fail, your guaranteed to flood the floor. With a syphon tube you have some sense of security. You always want to double drain vs return, look at the video I posted for Dana on his build, its a great explanation of why with demonstration of how it does not work.

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually following your day trying to figure out the overflow but I think j figured most of it out by the pics the sump looks good btw. Oh really? Hmmm is there any other bonding agent that would work for acrylic? I ready have the baffles. Should I try it anyway just for kicks? I will probably go with the 1" and 1/2" PVC cause 2" seems big.

Well I've heard that GOOP works ok, but I'm really not sure. Silicone may work if you can build it up on either side of the baffles.

OP
OP
R

reeftankgirl13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Googled goop and it said the build up method works the same as your describing doing with the silicone. Guess its time for some experiments woo let the fun begin

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Make sure in the return pump chamber you leave enough room to get your pump in there. They vary in size, but most people leave about 5" to be sure

Planedoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is strongly advised not to use your HOB to remove water from DT, uness your modifying it to to not use its pump, if you do the problem being, if one of your two pumps fail, your guaranteed to flood the floor. With a syphon tube you have some sense of security. You always want to double drain vs return, look at the video I posted for Dana on his build, its a great explanation of why with demonstration of how it does not work.

I hope you read this post. Two pumps will never work. There is no way to match them perfectly and even if you did it would change in a day. You either need an overflow or to drill your tank. Let the pump in the sump fill your display tank so the water freely overflows (via overflow of drilled overflow) back into your sump. This is the only way it will work. Again you CANNOT use two pumps.

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3

OP
OP
R

reeftankgirl13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think of that thank you for the warning I will revise my overflow plans to make a siphon using the separate parts but not the pump itself. Will be more work in the end but as long as it works then I will be happy. And will def check out the video on danas post :)

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you were just gonna modify the hob filter to siphon out the water. Yeah def don't want to use the pump in the filter to achieve that

OP
OP
R

reeftankgirl13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was thinking about it cuz I basically have the u tube to siphon out of the tank my thought was it'd be easier to use the pump but now knowing that it would be a disaster I am modifying it different. Now I don't have to cut a hole in HOBF I will just use the one the pump connects through which will be a perfect 1" drain for the 1/2" return. On the upside of that now I have an extra pump! Which means more powerheads! Yay!

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you will use the u tube from your filter as your drain?

mebo926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that your baffles may be to far apart. I THINK

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct! Should work right?

Well yeah it could work. The issue is going to be if the electricity goes out. I'm not 100% sure what you have going on there for an overflow, but make sure 1. The drain doesn't lose siphon 2. The drain won't siphon out too much dt water into your sump if electricity is lost.

Back