Rhodactis help please

janet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have had my marine tank upi and running for a year now. Last weekend I bought a rock with some beautiful green rhodactis on. The large one however doesn't look very well. It's centre is covered in light brown slime (the slime looks like my bubble tip anemone slime when it's excreting it's waste products). Is this normal in rhodactis? Do I need to do anything. The other green rhodacis on the same rock all look fine.
thanks
Janet

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it is not happy. Possibly releasing zooxanthellae from stress. Do you have a picture of the slime. What you describe seems like what I've seen mushrooms do when i've dropped rocks on them (by accident) or tried to propagate them. I think it will ultimately be fine as long as nothing is bothering it and it is receiving the right amount of light and current.

OP
OP
J

janet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just discovered my cleaner shrimps are eating it! It has almost totally gone this morning! That is the most expensive fish food I have ever bought!
Janet:squigglemouth:

Steve W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wouldn't have eaten it if it wasn't dying, more than likely. I suspect that if you got it at a LFS they were running thier salinity way too low. A lot of them do that to save money on salt and to theoretically keep fish diseases down, then when you bring it home and put it in your tank the shock is too much, and they get to sell you another one. If you buy anything else from them, check the salinity before you aclimate it. If it is below 1.024, do your aclimation very slowly adding a few milliliters at a time and take 4 to 6 hours to aclimate it.

Another possible problem with Rhodactis is if the light change was too great they will sometimes croak. I put all mushroom types in a shady spot under my rocks for at least a week before moving them out into the light.

OP
OP
J

janet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rhodactis killer was a Eunice (bobbit) worm! I saw him coming out of one of my live rocks today. I took the whole rock out and broke it up. There in the middle was a Eunice worm. Thank goodness he is out!

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its amazing the pests you find in your tanks. did you at least get to save some of the shrooms. I am sure they have skin left on the rocks and will grow back. I had a rock that lost all of its shrooms and low and behold they all came back twice again. So don't throw the rocks out as the shrooms will grow back.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that doesnt sound good, have you tried moving the rock to a new location? if i notice a coral isnt happy i move it til its happy

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! I am so sorry about this. You should let the Lfs know and see if they will help you out and cut you a deal. Sorry.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back