OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king decided to feed them both today because they were giving me the I'm hungry look, put some guppies in, they both had a couple, then offered them some squid, Azulon took 2 pieces readily, Azula took one piece after watching Azulon, had to flick the squid off the stick for Azulon to be interested in it, tried to offer them both more but they seemed satiated, weren't interested in either the squid or the guppies.

Also, I know you said flukes were common, still not sure if Azula has flukes as I've only seen the twitching during feeding but are flukes like a critical thing or could I put off treating with PraziPro until I'm able to get a third eel and that way I could just treat them all at once since that just makes more sense, let me know if I can put that off a little bit or should do it sooner rather than later.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king decided to feed them both today because they were giving me the I'm hungry look, put some guppies in, they both had a couple, then offered them some squid, Azulon took 2 pieces readily, Azula took one piece after watching Azulon, had to flick the squid off the stick for Azulon to be interested in it, tried to offer them both more but they seemed satiated, weren't interested in either the squid or the guppies.

Also, I know you said flukes were common, still not sure if Azula has flukes as I've only seen the twitching during feeding but are flukes like a critical thing or could I put off treating with PraziPro until I'm able to get a third eel and that way I could just treat them all at once since that just makes more sense, let me know if I can put that off a little bit or should do it sooner rather than later.

Not life or death as long they are still eating, so it would be ok to keep a close eye. Its so tricky because that twitch action can be normal. It does spread into the entire tank, so everyone would be susceptible and the whole tank would need to be treated. If they go off eating or you see cloudy eyes or they are spending alot of time at the surface it may be time to treat. Skipping one feeding is not a big deal, but after a couple I would get cocerned.

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not life or death as long they are still eating, so it would be ok to keep a close eye. Its so tricky because that twitch action can be normal. It does spread into the entire tank, so everyone would be susceptible and the whole tank would need to be treated. If they go off eating or you see cloudy eyes or they are spending alot of time at the surface it may be time to treat. Skipping one feeding is not a big deal, but after a couple I would get cocerned.
gotcha, I'll keep an eye out for those signs, I'll try to hold off until I've got the third eel in because if these 2 do have it and I treat now and the third one also brings it in that would just be redundant, depending on how they're all acting when I get the third one I may treat just to be safe rather than sorry.

none of these symptoms have presented themselves other than the twitching during feeding, though they are both getting more adventurous, especially in the morning

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king is it fine for them to eat nassarius snails? just saw one of them grab a snail and take it into the tubes, clearly trying to eat it after it was having a hard time catching the guppies

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king is it fine for them to eat nassarius snails? just saw one of them grab a snail and take it into the tubes, clearly trying to eat it after it was having a hard time catching the guppies
nevermind, he infact did not eat the snail and had some success with catching guppies, he definitely tried to eat the snail tho

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a couple of things you can do to help them catch the guppies. I like to herd them, I take a clear rigid airline tube and use it to herd the guppies towards the eels to help them catch them. There's also the net method, take a few guppies in a net, fold it over and sink the net with the guppies to the bottom, gently open the net as to not disturb the gyppies, but to give access to the eels.

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a couple of things you can do to help them catch the guppies. I like to herd them, I take a clear rigid airline tube and use it to herd the guppies towards the eels to help them catch them. There's also the net method, take a few guppies in a net, fold it over and sink the net with the guppies to the bottom, gently open the net as to not disturb the gyppies, but to give access to the eels.
I ended up herding with a net

Matnil78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Ribbons! Looks fantastic!
I just got my first Ribbon eel yesterday, offered some guppies today, saw a bit of interest, but no real hunting.... The guppies werent saltwater acclimatized so they died after a few hours, tried waving a dead one just in front of him but no respons..... I guess I will just keep offering guppies?

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Ribbons! Looks fantastic!
I just got my first Ribbon eel yesterday, offered some guppies today, saw a bit of interest, but no real hunting.... The guppies werent saltwater acclimatized so they died after a few hours, tried waving a dead one just in front of him but no respons..... I guess I will just keep offering guppies?
yes, just make sure to acclimate them this time

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back