ribbon eels

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king

need your insight again my friend.

so I've got one of the eels, the smaller one eating dead and live food, had to get him to bite harder and pull harder to get the food off the stick because hes terrified of the tongs, but he's got the hang of it now. he also now will hunt live food down (feeder guppies for the time being until the molly breeding tank picks up steam), the larger one still refuses to take dead food, very voracious eater of live tho, ate like, 20 feeder guppies, going to keep trying to get him to take both.

would it be fine to keep giving them the feeder guppies until the mollies are breeding enough? going to the petco in town to get some small, cheap mollies to put right in since he's giving me the "I'm hungry" look, and wouldn't take frozen when I was feeding the little guy.

also, maybe you know about this next question, would I be able to keep a yellow in with the blues? heard that they die a month after mating and that would not be ideal, also not sure if they get along like the blues do, please let me know if you know anything about this.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutritionally guppies are fine long term, they just need something more substantial, or like you've learned, 20 at a time. Keep trying with the dead food, and cut slivers instead of chunks. You can also use a clear airline tubing cut at a angle to pierce the food and use as a feeding stick instead of tongs. Some fish find them less intimidating. I run a fishing line through the tubing and pierce dead guppies(or mollies) to entice the dead feeding. Sometimes this works as a 1st step.

As far as breeding, I'm not sure if they would breed in captivity. That doesn't mean the male wouldn't torment her to death, or even kill her in a attempt. Female ribbons are a rare find so I have real experience. Some fish no interest in breeding in captivity at all, or others the males become relentless. If you had another tank to transfer her to, even if temporarily, it may interesting to try.

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutritionally guppies are fine long term, they just need something more substantial, or like you've learned, 20 at a time. Keep trying with the dead food, and cut slivers instead of chunks. You can also use a clear airline tubing cut at a angle to pierce the food and use as a feeding stick instead of tongs. Some fish find them less intimidating. I run a fishing line through the tubing and pierce dead guppies(or mollies) to entice the dead feeding. Sometimes this works as a 1st step.

As far as breeding, I'm not sure if they would breed in captivity. That doesn't mean the male wouldn't torment her to death, or even kill her in a attempt. Female ribbons are a rare find so I have real experience. Some fish no interest in breeding in captivity at all, or others the males become relentless. If you had another tank to transfer her to, even if temporarily, it may interesting to try.
thanks, it definitely would be cool to have a yellow, going to look into it more. saw one guy who had 3, 2 blacks and a yellow, would like a yellow just because it would be quite cool. not so much looking to breed, just want a yellow as well lol.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, it definitely would be cool to have a yellow, going to look into it more. saw one guy who had 3, 2 blacks and a yellow, would like a yellow just because it would be quite cool. not so much looking to breed, just want a yellow as well lol.

Blacks are juvi's so not the same as a blue with a yellow. Mature eels are a different animal, and tank will also play, I would imagine wanting a pretty large tank.

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blacks are juvi's so not the same as a blue with a yellow. Mature eels are a different animal, and tank will also play, I would imagine wanting a pretty large tank.
yeah fs, will have to look into it more, not even sure if a store near me could get a yellow.

anyways, ended up getting some decent sized feeder minnows from pet supplies plus, bigger eel ate 5 of them, I think he likes it when things are wiggling/moving, will have to try that next time I try to feed frozen.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Hey sorry to get off topic but would you happen to know where I could find gendered adult guppies?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah fs, will have to look into it more, not even sure if a store near me could get a yellow.

anyways, ended up getting some decent sized feeder minnows from pet supplies plus, bigger eel ate 5 of them, I think he likes it when things are wiggling/moving, will have to try that next time I try to feed frozen.

I got derailed by your comment about the female dying a month after mating, if this is the case, it's liklely just some sort of natural biological action. I'm thinking it over and really in captivity among the same species, it's males that have a hard time sharing their glass cage. Many times a male can be kept with a female, and sometimes even a pair or harem of females. Two adult males would likely not be a good idea, but a male and female could be worth a try. Although in the wild, adult eels seem to be solitary.

Please don't feed minnows, they contain a high amount of thiaminese, lack many nutrients, and contain the wrong fats. I have confirmed they can also cause bloat in lionfish, and I wouldn't be surprised if they could also cause bloat in eels. It's easier to make that wiggle move with the feeding stick design with the fishing line inserted I mentioned, and because it's clear and their eyesight isn't that good, they may not even see them.

Hey sorry to get off topic but would you happen to know where I could find gendered adult guppies?

If you are talking feeder guppies, you'll just have to do it yourself. If you are buying online you will get plenty of males and females to separate out for your breeder tanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got derailed by your comment about the female dying a month after mating, if this is the case, it's liklely just some sort of natural biological action. I'm thinking it over and really in captivity among the same species, it's males that have a hard time sharing their glass cage. Many times a male can be kept with a female, and sometimes even a pair or harem of females. Two adult males would likely not be a good idea, but a male and female could be worth a try. Although in the wild, adult eels seem to be solitary.

Please don't feed minnows, they contain a high amount of thiaminese, lack many nutrients, and contain the wrong fats. I have confirmed they can also cause bloat in lionfish, and I wouldn't be surprised if they could also cause bloat in eels. It's easier to make that wiggle move with the feeding stick design with the fishing line inserted I mentioned, and because it's clear and their eyesight isn't that good, they may not even see them.

If you are talking feeder guppies, you'll just have to do it yourself. If you are buying online you will get plenty of males and females to separate out for your breeder tanks.
gotcha, will get guppies or cheap mollies next time.

I'll keep looking into the female situation, maybe I'll try reaching out to the guy who had the female and the 2 blacks and see what his experience is.

Everything I've seen says these guys like to be in small groups or pair up, including adult males, seen a few pics of them sharing a burrow in the wild. I also think having them together from a younger age would help, mine haven't shown the slightest aggression towards eachother, hopefully that doesn't change.

maybe ill try calling/emailing a public aquarium somewhere that has them. haven't seen much of anyone with actual experience in this aspect of these eels, new waters to explore, will keep you updated.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha, will get guppies or cheap mollies next time.

I'll keep looking into the female situation, maybe I'll try reaching out to the guy who had the female and the 2 blacks and see what his experience is.

Everything I've seen says these guys like to be in small groups or pair up, including adult males, seen a few pics of them sharing a burrow in the wild. I also think having them together from a younger age would help, mine haven't shown the slightest aggression towards eachother, hopefully that doesn't change.

maybe ill try calling/emailing a public aquarium somewhere that has them. haven't seen much of anyone with actual experience in this aspect of these eels, new waters to explore, will keep you updated.

I have seen groups of blacks, which is common among juvi's of many eel species. I don't have experience with adults in groups in captivity. As a matter of fact, most never keep these guys alive long. Many may get along short term, so be aware when researching, There are some morays like the greyface that will live longterm as adults in captivity, so it may work.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've done some digging into eel reproduction and from what I've found ribbon eels are the only moray eel that's ever been successfully bred and that was only once at a zoo in Austria. Despite their best efforts the larvae only survived a week. The reproduction of eels is one of the least understood thing in the world unfortunately. Also the multistage life cycles of eels makes them even harder to care for as larvae as no ones really had the chance to experiment with them. They've figured out how to breed freshwater eels with hormones but the larvae have yet to survive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen groups of blacks, which is common among juvi's of many eel species. I don't have experience with adults in groups in captivity. As a matter of fact, most never keep these guys alive long. Many may get along short term, so be aware when researching, There are some morays like the greyface that will live longterm as adults in captivity, so it may work.
will keep you posted, like I said I don't forsee having any issues, hopefully I'm right, hopefully the university I emailed gets back to me

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_20221214_225540.jpg
    IMG_20221214_225540.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king

hey, just got home from work and found the larger of the 2 eels had jumped out onto the floor, he didn't make it, seems he used the filter outflow to go around the lid. I'm upset and out $150. the little guy is still alive.

going to wait a little bit before getting a replacement, let the mollies breed more and focus on the little guy, he's eating live and frozen, the bigger guy only ate live, atleast the easier of the 2 to feed didn't jump...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king
hey, just got home from work and found the larger of the 2 eels had jumped out onto the floor, he didn't make it, seems he used the filter outflow to go around the lid. I'm upset and out $150. the little guy is still alive.

going to wait a little bit before getting a replacement, let the mollies breed more and focus on the little guy, he's eating live and frozen, the bigger guy only ate live, atleast the easier of the 2 to feed didn't jump...

You have to cover the overflow. You can use something like this cut to size with a couple of drops of super glue,

4 Pieces Plastic Mesh Sheets for Embroidery Black Mesh Fish Tank Divider Screen Craft Mesh 10 Pieces Binding Bars Sliding Bars for Embroidery Crafting Knit and Crochet Projects​

Ir won't let me paste the link from Amazon.

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to cover the overflow. You can use something like this cut to size with a couple of drops of super glue,

4 Pieces Plastic Mesh Sheets for Embroidery Black Mesh Fish Tank Divider Screen Craft Mesh 10 Pieces Binding Bars Sliding Bars for Embroidery Crafting Knit and Crochet Projects​

Ir won't let me paste the link from Amazon.
thought I had all bases covered, going to up my protection, thanks for the suggestion, will order and work on soon. I know why he jumped, he was hungry, I was bringing food home with me from work, tried giving him frozen before I left, he wouldn't have it, shouldn't have this problem with the little one as he readily takes frozen, like I said, going to let the mollies start breeding more before I get a replacement, as well as cover all the gaps

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back