Rimless Reef 4.0

joelbegt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sonny!

I’m considering running zeolites in my system and I’ve seen that you run around 1/2 the recommended amount of zeolites for 60 days before changing. What kind of reactor flow are you running? Is there anything I need to watch out for running zeolites?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sonny!

I’m considering running zeolites in my system and I’ve seen that you run around 1/2 the recommended amount of zeolites for 60 days before changing. What kind of reactor flow are you running? Is there anything I need to watch out for running zeolites?

Hi! I currently run 100gph through my reactor. There is not a whole lot to look out for when using the zeolites, just take it slow. They can quickly soak up nutrients and shock corals.

How's it going now? Any improvement to your system?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the system has preformed beyond expectations and grown corals quicker than what I would have imagined.

You can read about the "Bacteria-Powered Reef" in the latest issue of Reef Hobbyist Magazine.

RHM.jpg

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks gorgeous! I am glad I came across your build and have downloaded your radion schedule to give it a try.

Did you add a gasket to the venturi on your Ultra Reef skimmer?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks gorgeous! I am glad I came across your build and have downloaded your radion schedule to give it a try.

Did you add a gasket to the venturi on your Ultra Reef skimmer?

Thank you. Concerning the skimmer, it is completely stock with no modifications made.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a beautiful morning on the reef:
970C8D27-7A0A-463F-A89A-E9FE4BC33636.jpeg
Hey Sunny, tank looks awesome and your method for bacteria production obviously works but how do you keep the nuisance stuff at bay such as bubble algae, aptasia, etc...? Just thorough coral QT? Utilitarian fish?

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sunny, tank looks awesome and your method for bacteria production obviously works but how do you keep the nuisance stuff at bay such as bubble algae, aptasia, etc...? Just thorough coral QT? Utilitarian fish?

Thank you!

For the most part, the bacteria do all the heavy lifting. The algae cannot compete with the bacteria for resources. The fish would eat up the algae if it had a place to grow.

I will have to get an closer image of the rockwork, but on the center the island furthest to the right, ever single portion of the rockwork is covered with coral. There simply isn't space for the algae to grow.

The island to the left is about 80% covered up with coral, but even there, no algae grows.

I try and get the word out on carbon dosing, as I have for decades now, but some are still hesitant. The proof is in the pudding, and this reef in particular has exceeded all of my expectations. In my opinion, the difference maker here was the Zeovit reactor. The daily release of bacteria from the reactor has done wonders for coral growth. You can see the corals extend their feed tentacles each time the reactor is stirred.

I dont dose Pyhto, Zooplankton or really any other foods. I do dose Zeofood+, but its more of a food source for the bacteria than corals.

Currently, I dose the following:

-Kalkwasser(in top off)-Daily
-Tropic Marin All for Reef-Daily
-Tropic Marin NP Bacto Balance( Carbon Source)-Daily
-Zeobak(Bacteria) -Twice per Week
-Zeofood+(Carbon source)-Twice per Week

And finally, I hit everything with a dose of DIY Coral Snow at the end of the week after maintenance has been completed.

-Sonny

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

For the most part, the bacteria do all the heavy lifting. The algae cannot compete with the bacteria for resources. The fish would eat up the algae if it had a place to grow.

I will have to get an closer image of the rockwork, but on the center the island furthest to the right, ever single portion of the rockwork is covered with coral. There simply isn't space for the algae to grow.

The island to the left is about 80% covered up with coral, but even there, no algae grows.

I try and get the word out on carbon dosing, as I have for decades now, but some are still hesitant. The proof is in the pudding, and this reef in particular has exceeded all of my expectations. In my opinion, the difference maker here was the Zeovit reactor. The daily release of bacteria from the reactor has done wonders for coral growth. You can see the corals extend their feed tentacles each time the reactor is stirred.

I dont dose Pyhto, Zooplankton or really any other foods. I do dose Zeofood+, but its more of a food source for the bacteria than corals.

And finally, I hit everything with a dose of DIY Coral Snow at the end of the week after maintenance has been completed.

-Sonny
I gotta say this man… there’s some magic in that all for reef!! I’ve followed your footsteps for many years and running the whole zeo thing and kalk top off was always my go to! I was having calcium problems rising to fast so I quit the all for reef… just running the zeo reactor and bacteria with bacto balance with kalk top off.. after 2 months I stopped the kalk and started using all for reef again cause it’s sitting here and my tank exploded with pe, color and growth! Now I’m back to kalk top off with 80ml of all for reef a day to keep up with the alk consumption!

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

-Sonny
Thanks for sharing, can’t stop staring at your reef, truely inspirational (enjoy your Insta). Just curious if you’ve ever had your nutrients bottom out using this method. If they hypothetically did, would you modify your snow/bac dosing regime at all?

Dealing with ‘double 0s’ now and not sure how to proceed (bit of cyano starting to appear oddly enough).

Thanks!

badIuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank. Is the background just the clear glass tank standing in front of a white wall? Why are there no visible cables/pipes behind the tank? I also want to have a bright background (clear, frosted or white) but I am not quite sure how to prevent pipes and cables behind the tank from being visible through the back glass when standing in front of the tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank. Is the background just the clear glass tank standing in front of a white wall? Why are there no visible cables/pipes behind the tank? I also want to have a bright background (clear, frosted or white) but I am not quite sure how to prevent pipes and cables behind the tank from being visible through the back glass when standing in front of the tank.
It’s a peninsula tank set up against a wall instead of sticking out… overflow and cable management is all on the left end of the display.

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sunny maybe it was mentioned elsewhere, but about how much rock is in there? I am planning a similar aquascape on a tank just a hair larger. Did you use KP aquatics for this build? It's amazing stuff.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunny maybe it was mentioned elsewhere, but about how much rock is in there? I am planning a similar aquascape on a tank just a hair larger. Did you use KP aquatics for this build? It's amazing stuff.

Hello,

The rock was originally KP aquatics, and transferred over from a 40gl reef I had setup.

I dont know exactly how much rock was put in the system, but it wasnt much at all.

Not the best of images, but you can see where it started, and a second photo from a month ago when I gave the corals a big trim. Dont fret about the amount of rock. In no time, the corals will fill in the gaps.

1706462650933.png

1706463036689.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back