Rinse dry rock in tap or rodi?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have close to a couple hundred pounds of dry rock, half being Marco rock from BRS, another half being old fiji and pukani rock that’s been dry for years. I’m going to be aquascaping my 310g build in a couple weeks and want to give a quick rinse to the dry rock before going in the tank to minimize any tank cloudiness and any debris that might be hiding in the crevices of the rock.

Will rinsing in tap water and letting air dry be fine? Or should I rinse in rodi? I had been rinsing in rodi tonight but noticed my bucket of rodi I was using was becoming cloudy after 5 or 6 rocks rinsed through it. If I use rodi, should I empty the cloudy water out and refill with fresh rodi each time it starts getting cloudy?
10E2660C-1AEE-4912-B115-E6DA6942DB50.jpeg
04129DF5-FB58-42B0-8B4C-D588D2AD5BF2.jpeg
889A34D5-CDBC-4920-AFEF-B08217C38599.jpeg

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CincyReefer07 Some nice rock you have there. Me personally, I would probably only use RODI to eliminate as much contaminants as possible. My understanding is the rock will be very absorbent of extra elements and additives, therefore I wouldn't want it getting anything from the tap, especially PFAS, silicates, etc.

I used about 40 lbs and used air prior to placing in the tank. In my case, I had about two days of cloudiness and changed a filter sock.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap water for rinsing and bleaching rock.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I´m late on this.

My normal advise should be tap water. I'm not worried about that the rocks should soak up whatever. However - RO water will be a more effective way to remove some compounds from the rocks because of its very low ion strength. You can do a test by yourself - clean your glasses with normal tap water (no chemicals) and do the same with RO water - You will see a difference.

Normally - its enough with tap water cleaning - IMO - but if you are a very worrying person - let it soak in RO or RODI water afterwards.

Sincerely Lasse

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it also depends on whats IN your tap water. Since dry rock can be like a sponge for some elements. I wouldn’t worry about how cloudy your RODI is getting, I mean don't let it get excessive, but really the whole purpose is to shake off any loose debris. you can also clean some, then filter the water by pouring it through a sock into another bucket.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it also depends on whats IN your tap water. Since dry rock can be like a sponge for some elements. I wouldn’t worry about how cloudy your RODI is getting, I mean don't let it get excessive, but really the whole purpose is to shake off any loose debris. you can also clean some, then filter the water by pouring it through a sock into another bucket.
I appreciate your help guys! I chose to go ahead and rinse all my rock in rodi water, once it got really cloudy from stuff coming off the rock I was rinsing I emptied the tub, and filled with fresh rodi from my container and continued rinsing all the rock until it was all rinsed, then I put away in closed boxes to dry until it was time for me to build my scape and fill my display tank. Was most likely as some of you stated, overkill, but I figured why not

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back