Rising salinity

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the reef tank almost 4 years old now, I rarely check parameters since it's usually spot on. However, I've noticed that my salinity would progressively rise over time. Easily corrected by replacing several gallons with RODI, but it was puzzling to me. I do a 10% water change every week, with precisely 35ppt or 1.026 water at 78F. I have the Tunze ATO, and it fires for a few seconds multiple times in a day correcting even the slightest water loss from evaporation. There have been several threads here on this issue, but none seem to pertain to mine.

I think I've figured out what the problem is. For me it's habitual overfill with the water change.

I have a mark on my sump and on my DT to indicate precisely where a 20 gallon water change should be. Take out 20, put in 20. I usually prepare about 21 gallons water change water, just in case I remove too much and the resultant lower water level will make the ATO fire and dilute the water. I hit the refill mark and throw away the excess water change water. I must have been overfilling, and the water evaporates significantly before the Tunze starts. Over several water changes, that slow incremental rise in salinity becomes obvious.

I guess I need to check DT salinity more often :).

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back