Rising ZINC - cannot find root cause

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Zinc levels keep rising according to Triton ICP (screenshot), and I cannot find the root cause. All other test parameters seem to align with what they are measuring, but Zinc is trending unfavorably up.

I have read potential root causes, but they do not seem to fit:

- I use only gloves when putting my hand in the tank
- Use Tropic Marin Pro as the Salt
- Magnets - the only one is a flipper magnet less than a year old
- All pumps and probes are less than a year old, and there are no screws that I am aware of.

The only thing I can think of is a metal rod that keeps the rock work together (highlighted in the picture). This was widely sold by the local fish store at the time, often for much larger rock work than what I have.

If I cannot find the issue, is there any way other than a water change to remove the high ZINC? I have read about a Zinc-binding resin, but I am unsure if this makes sense.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_1012.jpeg IMG_1013.jpeg IMG_5905.jpeg

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Zinc levels keep rising according to Triton ICP (screenshot), and I cannot find the root cause. All other test parameters seem to align with what they are measuring, but Zinc is trending unfavorably up.

I have read potential root causes, but they do not seem to fit:

- I use only gloves when putting my hand in the tank
- Use Tropic Marin Pro as the Salt
- Magnets - the only one is a flipper magnet less than a year old
- All pumps and probes are less than a year old, and there are no screws that I am aware of.

The only thing I can think of is a metal rod that keeps the rock work together (highlighted in the picture). This was widely sold by the local fish store at the time, often for much larger rock work than what I have.

If I cannot find the issue, is there any way other than a water change to remove the high ZINC? I have read about a Zinc-binding resin, but I am unsure if this makes sense.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_1012.jpeg IMG_1013.jpeg IMG_5905.jpeg
What other elements have increased, even a little? ItThis info might give folks a hint about where the zinc is coming from.

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other elements have increased, even a little? ItThis info might give folks a hint about where the zinc is coming from.
So nothing has increased except Zinc, but I can provide the other elements that are elevated, but they went down quite a bit from the last test 2-3 months ago - as attached.

IMG_1016.jpeg IMG_1015.jpeg IMG_1014.jpeg

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you dosing anything? the zinc could be rising due to being an ingredient in something you could be dosing.
Yes, good question. I did dose Phosban briefly and am dosing NP Bacto Balance daily (both never dosed before).

Otherwise, the AF Life Source was something I had in mind as a reason (mud with too much Zinc?) since I have been dosing this weekly.

Otherwise I dose the following:
- BRS Kalkwasser
- Life Phyto Dinkins 5 times a week
- PNS Pro Bio twice a week
- various trace elements weekly (Triton)
- Copepods + rotifers monthly Dinkins
- Amphipods one time recently Dinkins

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, good question. I did dose Phosban briefly and am dosing NP Bacto Balance daily (both never dosed before).

Otherwise, the AF Life Source was something I had in mind as a reason (mud with too much Zinc?) since I have been dosing this weekly.

Otherwise I dose the following:
- BRS Kalkwasser
- Life Phyto Dinkins 5 times a week
- PNS Pro Bio twice a week
- various trace elements weekly (Triton)
- Copepods + rotifers monthly Dinkins
- Amphipods one time recently Dinkins
how long have you been dosing life source? that could be it

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure its high enough to be an issue, but if it is accurate, I agree the trajectory isn't good (fwiw, the first point is too low).
Just a quick follow up, at what level should I worry about Zinc? I did not see a reference value in your reference article about other elements. It could be the AF Life Source mud I dose every week, so I could stop this and retest again, but was thinking if I continue doing this until it reaches more concerning levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual, there is very little reliable toxicity info on trace elements to the sorts of organisms we typically keep, and we often have to go on what we see happening (or not happening) in reef tanks.

This older document suggests that 10 ug/L is a safe level:

Marine water: Chronic

To protect marine aquatic life in marine environments, the average 4concentration of total zinc should
not exceed 10 µg/L. The recommended guideline is based on lowest observed effect (chronic) levels of 19-19.6 µg/L zinc for the marine alga S. schroederi and S. constatum. A safety factor of 0.5 was used.

Marine water: Acute

To protect aquatic life from acute or lethal effects in the marine environment, the maximum
concentration of total zinc at any time should not exceed 55 µg/L.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Kalk and Triton trace elements?
Triton for sure. BRS Kalk I’ll get back with you on that soon. We’re sending ICP-MS on that in the next few days I believe, but we may need to wait till after Aug 11th. The lab will be closed for about 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton for sure. BRS Kalk I’ll get back with you on that soon. We’re sending ICP-MS on that in the next few days I believe, but we may need to wait till after Aug 11th. The lab will be closed for about 2 weeks.
Interesting - so I am using the individual trace elements from Triton, and you think they would have Zinc added to them?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just one test. I would look for a second to confirm the 30ish PPM before you do much else. Regardless of what some and the manufacturers claim, ICP tests are not all that reliable.

Supplements with more than one element are the likely cause, if the test was good. Some companies sell "color" supplements with zinc in them - high levels of zinc can kill zoox and make colors brighter with more contrast. Zeo used to do this - they still might for all that I know.

In any case, verify that test before you do too much.

Changing water can bring it down.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - so I am using the individual trace elements from Triton, and you think they would have Zinc added to them?
Not if you’re not dosing zinc specifically. I figured you were. You’re dosing all the individual elements, but not zinc?

Back