Ritteri anemone size

Willylumplump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here has a ritteri split in their tank before? I wanted a large anemone, over past year has gone from 6-8 inch to 12-16 inch. Hoping it slows down or possibly splits.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t count on it. I have seen some speculation that there may be more than one ‘kind’ of magnifica .... those that split and those that do not. Local reefer to me has a yellow polyped mag that splits at about 6”. Mine never do. Had to rehome one that got to about 24”. Apparently it’s now close to 36” sans splitting. My current one is pushing 20” without any signs of splitting.

OP
OP
W

Willylumplump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only purchased two, both from LA, first was DOA, second was great. Can’t offer more than my own experience

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want one. Where is the best source for one considering reefers dont rehome them often?
I might be selling my (formally Ca1ore’s) 36” Mag , if it doesn’t split soon... I have already acquired an 18” replacement.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one reach 3’ and rehomed it to a hobbyist with a 1,700 gal tank. They can get BIG. Considered an expert only species for a reason.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that there are probably different 'kinds' of magnifica. I've had both -- some have gotten huge, and I had one that was mauve with white tips that split at approximately 6".

There is a store here in CA that gets magnifica with some consistency, but they appear to be seasonal. I was there last week and they had a one in stock. They will ship, but be prepared to QT with Cipro.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be selling my (formally Ca1ore’s) 36” Mag , if it doesn’t split soon... I have already acquired an 18” replacement.

Zoinks, I can imagine what a monster it must be by now.

OP
OP
W

Willylumplump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 180, split into 3 rock towers, I was hoping would only take one up. I am good for another year at this rate, but was hoping would be a bit smaller

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very late to this threat, I have a new one in the tank now but concur from reading that some do - others do not. On ultimate reef there is a member called Pavlo who had his split after several years of successfully keeping a mag in his tank, there is little information as to what causes the split in these anemones but in the wild the split frequently but seem less inclined in our tanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back