RKE and the net module

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have the RKE and it came with the net unit but have yet to set it up , how many of you guys acutally use it and what are the benefits ? Is there software I can download if so any links?

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the net module but it had to be hooked to my computer (which wasn't possible. So I sold it.

Cyber-Burn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Net on mine and it is useful, if nothing else just for the alerts from alarms etc. the remote control and being able to see the tank status on my iPhone is also a big plus when I'm on vacation. The Net module just needs to be connected to your home Internet with an Ethernet cable. The newer 2.0 firmware allows for remote control from the Net module, alone with alerting to email etc when alarms go off. It would need to be updated to the same firmware that your running on the rest of your RKE system now.

Here is a good guide on how to setup the RKE with a home router:
Digital Aquatics Forum • View topic - Port Forwarding and DDNS for Dummies

csal1-175

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the net mod aswell ,love being able to check my per. and control it with my phone and ipod..

rc_csal1-175_sig.png

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the net module. mainly just to be able to see the tank at work and when traveling. it is a very nifty addition to the RKE. I can control all my channels thru my android phone if I so want to.

weaponsofmassdesign

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to use a wireless access point (WAP - Wireless access point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) to connect the net module over a wifi connect to your network router. I'm not sure exactly how it works yet, but I am also currently working on that. I just haven't got to that point yet. It is possible to connect it to your network without directly plugging it into a computer though.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi RogerWilco357,

I use the RKM-Net module on my ReefKeeper Elite, and I find it useful. The basic functions like monitoring temperature and pH remotely are useful. You also have the option to turn devices on and off, as well as adjust some of the settings for the channels. If you have an iPhone (not sure on Android) there are third part apps that allow you to quickly (and remotely) turn channels on and off and quickly, and check the status of devices and probes.

I have mine connected directly to a standard ethernet cable. There is no software for it that you can download, but it comes with the module is essentially a small web server that has Digital Aquatics NET Webserver software installed on it. I hope this helps.

Chris R.

gurumasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there isn't an app for this than how do you access the information of your system and make changes?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The net module has an integrated web server that allows you to navigate to add IP address where you can log in and perform basic programming functions.

gurumasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The net module has an integrated web server that allows you to navigate to add IP address where you can log in and perform basic programming functions.

Do you think this is worth the purchase? I def want to monitor my tank remotely but I am hesitant to buy because I have had some issues with other reef keeper devices such as there dosing pumps which I just returned.

I guess my question is - does this work well and is worth the buy or will I have issues?

Thanks!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I have been on the archon for a little over two years and feel it is way better of a solution than the reefkeeper elite. While the net module was good it was very limited. The new controller eliminates all of that and brings everything onto the web with easy monitoring and access. There is still not an app for it but it is entirely web server based.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had the RKE I used the NET module for remote access and the alarm email alerts. It supports up to 16 ports of graphing. Also you can do some programming on the outputs as long as you have the timers and alarms already setup. Timers and alarms cannot be changed via the NET. The NET is web based and does not need a app for access. I think there was a third party app on the android. There used to be be a third party one for iPhome but the guy dropped the support.

The Archon is completly web based. There is no display on the controller. It is compatible with smart phones, tablets or computers. Lindsey (pickuoman66) made some videos of programming things on the Archon. Also I am in the process of going over the Archon in my build thread here on R2R. The Archon has several input and output ports built into the unit itself, 4 switch inputs, 2 pH or ORP ports (individually selectable), 4 0-10v output ports (2 use the same connectors as the APC module), 2 PWM ports, 4 buss ports (one dedicated for the iTemp probe) and USB port for the USB drive and future expansion. It has wired and wifi network connectivity. If you don't have a network it generates it on wifi hot spot you can access with any wifi enabled device. It comes with a power pack that powers the Archon itself. It is compatible with most of the RKE/RKL modules. It is not however compatible with the NET module, RD1 or the RKE/RKL head unit. Any of these will need to be removed before hooking up the Archon to the buss.

I have 3 DP1's and use them for ATO and auto water change. So for no major issues. I have had one of them in use since I setup the tank in October 2015. I did have to have the original modified once I started using the other two which were second generation. They changed the 6v power position on the buss so it would not interfere with the iTemp on the RKL.

gurumasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you please help me? I am connected and can see everything when I log in on a computer on my network.

I don't know how to get my tank status on my iPhone.

Can you please provide step by step instruction. I will truly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put in the correct ip address in the web browser? Is the iPhone on the same network as the computer? I assume you are using Safari.

gurumasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put in the correct ip address in the web browser? Is the iPhone on the same network as the computer? I assume you are using Safari.

I can connect the iPhone to wifi then I'm on the same network. I am accessing the info by going to rkm-net website on my computer but will not let me in on my phone.

How do I access by IP address?

Where do I plug in the IP address? Just type into web browser?

Thank you!

gurumasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be starting to realize that this is more complex than I had hoped.

I a trying to monitor the tank from my phone when away from home like what the apex does. Is this not possible without messing with my modem or router (I don't have a router) settings?

Can I access the tank status trough a web browser or something or do I need a tech expert to set me up somehow?

I am not having any problems logging into the net module from home computer when I am on the same network. If I visit the same website on my iPhone it will not let me in. I just keep putting a username and password and it just blinks and puts me back to the login screen.

I am trying to log in when I am away from the network and anywhere in the world.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to do port forwarding on your router and also use a dynamic dns service such as afraid.org. unfortunately the net module was developed before cloud reporting.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to set the port forwarding and reserve a static IP address via your router. You will also need a ddns service of some type. I have a Asus router that came with the service via Asus for free, but that requires me to use that router which is not easy on Spectrum cable.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back