OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used your particular type of RO, but did you drain the water out of it, since the last time you used it. I don't see any taps on the pic of it that you posted.
Wait a minute I just got back from testing every second and it was from 50 to 15 ppm so I guess the problem is over but what could that be the temperature?? Too low pressure?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, your unit has no de-ionisation resin on it, after the membrane?
Idk I'll send a picture later to see what I have, I remember that there was activated charcoal, membrane with waste and RO output and the third thing I don't remember what it's for but I think rust and dust or chlorine thing

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got my RO filter and I was really sure that I was ready cuz I got the tds pH meters and everything for it, but I never knew that cleaning it would require special cleaning, I just rinsed the filtration with tap water and waited, then the TDS dropped to 0006 ppm, but I didn't know I had to clean with something special, I have nothing special for RO except some things for house cleaning like bleach, soda soap or vinegar and many other, but I've heard that vinegar with water will help, is that true?
I've been using 3 different RO systems for 20 years. Other than rinse the canisters with tap water when I replace the filters or membranes I haven't done a thing. And I would NOT ever use soap. Any residual soap could hurt whatever life is in the aquarium. Just change the filters and membrane as needed and you're good to go.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using 3 different RO systems for 20 years. Other than rinse the canisters with tap water when I replace the filters or membranes I haven't done a thing. And I would NOT ever use soap. Any residual soap could hurt whatever life is in the aquarium. Just change the filters and membrane as needed and you're good to go.
I also got a problem a few days ago ago where my RO tds changed to 200ppm and that scared me alot, I don't know what happened but then changed to 15 ppm, now I realized that everytime I turn on the filter it goes from 100 ppm tds to 15 ppm after a few minutes or seconds, that's normal right? And is 15 ppm tds good in RO?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is normal it is called TDS creep. That is why I use a DI bypass to send the first 5 minutes of production down the drain.

I assume your system does not have a DI stage and that 15 ppm is just after the membrane? How does your rejection rate compare to the spec of the membrane?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is normal it is called TDS creep. That is why I use a DI bypass to send the first 5 minutes of production down the drain.

I assume your system does not have a DI stage and that 15 ppm is just after the membrane? How does your rejection rate compare to the spec of the membrane?
400+ ppm waste, 15 ppm after membrane and 200+ from tap water, I do not have a DI stage, only RO

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your RO system uses 1/4" push connect fittings, so any DI canister can be added on simply by attaching it to the product water line. Here's one such unit that is the same design as your RO system, and looks like a good choice:
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 3.00.27 PM.png

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your RO system uses 1/4" push connect fittings, so any DI canister can be added on simply by attaching it to the product water line. Here's one such unit that is the same design as your RO system, and looks like a good choice:

Picture doesn't work but I understand, where should It be plugged? (between/after which canister?) I'll probably get one

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets attached to the product water line. That's the line after the membrane; the line that the usable RO water comes out of.

What the DI does is removes the last handful of TDS after the entire RO system has had its way with it.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets attached to the product water line. That's the line after the membrane; the line that the usable RO water comes out of.

What the DI does is removes the last handful of TDS after the entire RO system has had its way with it.
Isn't di deionized? Like demineralized water? That reminds me of that one water that I randomly found and the tds was 2 ppm and that shocked me, it was RO/DI now I understand, but to be honest I'll get the DI when my RO system will get more ppm tds cuz 15 doesn't look bad, anyways I'll check tomorrow the RO water quality to see if something changed

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back