Rock Flower Anemone - Where should I Place it?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at first someone told me that you should Place Rock Flower Anemones on the Sand Bed and then it will Bury its Foot in the Sand and will be Happy and Stay Put.

Well I was at the Frag Swap today and all 3 People that were Selling Rock Flower Anemones said to put it on a Rock for it to be most Happy.

One Dealer said to turn of the Flow, Put it on the Rock, and Hold it there for 20 Seconds and it should Stick and not Move after that.

He said that there is a "Sand Anemone" version which are the Less Colorful Brown Variety that like the Sand but the Nice Colorful Red Rocks that people sell at Shows like to be on Rocks (Hence the name Rock Anemone).

Is this true?

Where should they be Placed?

Barky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them placed in both places. They prefer low light, if anything be sure to cover your power heads with a mesh screen to protect the anemone getting sucked into it should it get caught in the water stream. I have heard of this happening to many times.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them placed in both places. They prefer low light, if anything be sure to cover your power heads with a mesh screen to protect the anemone getting sucked into it should it get caught in the water stream. I have heard of this happening to many times.

How Low is Low?

Mine are Currently in a 10 Gallon with a Kessil A150 LED Light over the Tank.

I heard that they are not that picky when it comes to Light.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reason I asked this was I originally wanted to upgrade my 10 Gallon (with Sand) that it currently is in to a 30 Gallon Frag Tank (30 X 18 X 12) with No Sand.

I was going to use the Same Kessil A150 that is on the 10 Gallon currently and the same Power Heads.

So all I would need to add is more Live Rock and buy the Tank itself saving me a bunch of money on New Lights.

I had it all Planned out and then remembered I had Rock Nems in the 10 Gallon and I am trying to do away with Sand so I do not have to Vacuum it as it saving me time on Weekly Water Changes.

So I felt a Barebottom Sandless Tank would Stress them out and possibly kill them.

My Tanks are all Full and I need a new Frag Tank so I figured I could "kill two birds with one stone" and upgrade the current 10 to a 30 and then have 1 less Tank but more room for Incoming Coral.

But once I thought about the Sand it stopped my Plans.

After talking to the Dealers at the Swap I went back to my Original Plan to Upgrade the 10 Gallon but with no Sand.

So do you all agree that this would be a good idea?

If so I will Order my New Tank (30 Gallon Bare Bottom) tomorrow.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are in a Tank with Zoa/SPS DOM Tank its a 60GRR Shallow tank. as well as 5Bubble tips, And a few fish, They produce sexually. so they dont split. They like some flow, as well as being fed too, These are undera 8Bulb ATI sunpower the tank is 48x24x12H Fixture is 15" above the water. They do not move at all from where we placed them. You dont really need to worry for your power heads. never had a problem with them My girlfriend hasa pretty cool collection of them, As of right now i think 20 of them now. as well as some babies they made. This is a photo i took today so this is a updated photo.

DSC09806edited.jpg

DSC09806edited.jpg

Last edited:

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if you are goign bare bottom Get a Circle container like we have, Get crushed coral and put it in the Container and place it in your tank with all the rock anemones. They will be fine. This container has been in this tank for about a year or more now.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if you are goign bare bottom Get a Circle container like we have, Get crushed coral and put it in the Container and place it in your tank with all the rock anemones. They will be fine. This container has been in this tank for about a year or more now.

That is an excellent idea but I kind of wanted them more Visible too (Up on the Live Rock).

Do you think not having Sand or a "Sandbox" like you have would be at all detrimental to the Rock Nems?

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if tehre gonna be on your Rock work them i dont see a reason for a sand Box. The Sand Box we have is just to keep them in place with eachother lol. They tend to move here and there. But always stay put most of the time. A few of them Just spawned so we are hoping for a ton of babies soon! . also the sand box is not in a Bare Bottom tank.

but any update?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 111 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back