RODI Faucet Diverter is shooting water out the sides! Help

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only sink I can attach the RODI faucet diverter to. The thing is water shoots out the sides when it is on as the threads wont totally connect. I got another thinking it may be faulty, and it does the same thing> It seems it is just the design of the threads not totally matching up with our faucet.

I am not really sure what to do at this point as we rent homes and this is our only way to keep it portable. Any ideas?

spout.jpg

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The threads may not be matching with your faucet. It works by compression against that O-ring. If it won't thread onto the faucet well it is sure to leak.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do make adapters for the different sizes. A plumbing supply store, maybe Lowe’s or Home Depot, will have them. Worse comes to worse, do you have an outside faucet that you can run a hose to and get an adapter for the hose end?

Edit: Amazon has them also.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try an adaptor under the sink. It goes between the angle stop valve and the flex line. Easy to remove when you move.

Edit, something like this.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The threads may not be matching with your faucet. It works by compression against that O-ring. If it won't thread onto the faucet well it is sure to leak.
Yes I am assuming the threads.

They do make adapters for the different sizes. A plumbing supply store, maybe Lowe’s or Home Depot, will have them. Worse comes to worse, do you have an outside faucet that you can run a hose to and get an adapter for the hose end?

Edit: Amazon has them also.
Curious how would I know what adapter to get? Like this one fits on near perfectly, but some water still shoots out the sides. Maybe just get 2-3 and return the ones that dont work? I do have an outside faucet I could do this with, but was hoping to avoid that.

Maybe try an adaptor under the sink. It goes between the angle stop valve and the flex line. Easy to remove when you move.
I was really hoping to avoid this because I know nothing about plumbing, and liability reasons with the landlord. Just setting up this RO.DI was a challenge for me.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a shower head can removed easily, hey make adaptors for that. Same for laundry hoses. Shower is best if there were to ever be a leak as it wouldn’t do anything but go down the drain.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the aerator and diverter with you and test fit. If it is a really close fit, you could try Teflon tape but that might be dicey.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my faucet outside and it is slightly larger than the faucet inside. I will try getting 2x for the inside, and 2x for the outside. One of those has to work! Than I will just return the others?

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, you can do that, there aren’t many different sizes. If you have a plumbing supply store nearby, they are better than the box stores. Good luck!

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that the threads on that indoor faucet look pretty beat up. The RO piece has to thread on deep enough so that you can feel it tightening up against the O-ring. If it just comes to a hard stop, it is likely the threads are bad and it is not pressed up against the O-ring. Hopefully the outdoor faucet is better.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Faucet adapters are a less than ideal feedwater fitting for your RO system. You'll typically lose significant pressure coming through a faucet.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that the threads on that indoor faucet look pretty beat up. The RO piece has to thread on deep enough so that you can feel it tightening up against the O-ring. If it just comes to a hard stop, it is likely the threads are bad and it is not pressed up against the O-ring. Hopefully the outdoor faucet is better.
I was thinking that could be the issue. Based off what you described I think it is just not making it to the O-ring (makes it just about halfway).

I think the outside faucet would be better because it has a lot more pressure.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back