RODI Questions

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm finally going back to using my 4 stage BRS 100GPD RODI unit after probably 6+ months of using tap for top off, and the last 2 months for both water changes and topoff..
I used new media still wrapped but are 2 years old, and just got a new RO membrane as well. My first question is about the DI Resin.. it hasn't been used before and looks like this:
20240206_205537.jpg

Is that normal? My in line TDS meter's batteries have died, and will be replaced tomorrow so I don't know if the color is affecting the quality of the output.

The other question I had was about the output flow, it sputters a bit then is smooth for a couple seconds then back to sputtering. It does this on repeat, and I remember it used to be a smooth flow. I ran the new RO membrane without the DI cartridge in as suggested. There are no leaks in the unit, so no air can be getting in. Is that normal as well?

Any input would be appreciated!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resins degrade over time if they are not properly sealed or stored.

I don’t know what the sputtering comes from but it shouldn’t be doing that if it was working properly?

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resins degrade over time if they are not properly sealed or stored.

I don’t know what the sputtering comes from but it shouldn’t be doing that if it was working properly?
Yeah, maybe that's what happened is it sat for too long before use? I'll find out later today if I'm producing 0 TDS water with it.

Yeah idk either, I couldn't remember if it did this when it was new and only got smoother with age. It seems to be producing water at the same rate it used to, so it's not really a big deal I guess.
Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that di is exhausted. The water out of the RO stage is 0 TDS, and out of the DI is 1-2..
Just ordered a new one.

Edit* well apparently I had gotten the refillable cartridge last time I ordered, and I didn't realize it until I took this one out. I could have saved a few bucks and just got resin, not a whole cartridge.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that di is exhausted. The water out of the RO stage is 0 TDS, and out of the DI is 1-2..
Just ordered a new one.

Edit* well apparently I had gotten the refillable cartridge last time I ordered, and I didn't realize it until I took this one out. I could have saved a few bucks and just got resin, not a whole cartridge.
If you still have the refillable one buy some resin and run two. When the first starts to fail the second picks up the slack. Refill the first and put it in second place. I have 3, so I don’t have to change them as often.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you still have the refillable one buy some resin and run two. When the first starts to fail the second picks up the slack. Refill the first and put it in second place. I have 3, so I don’t have to change them as often.
I ended up canceling the order for the cartridge and got resin instead. My TDS out of the tap is only 24, so I don't really need more stages. Thanks for the idea tho!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up canceling the order for the cartridge and got resin instead. My TDS out of the tap is only 24, so I don't really need more stages. Thanks for the idea tho!
I get it. More money for frags!

Our TDS is around 300 at the tap, last time I checked it. My wife will not drink it before RO.

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall,I just need 2 new membranes?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back