RODI vs Distilled Water Maker

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last couple of months I've been purchasing distilled water at Winco for 1.20 a gallon. The rate of evaporation for my 66 gallon tank comes to about a gallon a day. Found a distilled water maker (750 watts) for 75 dollars capable of producing around 8 gallons a day or 1 gallon in about a hour.
Question, anything wrong with using tap city water through a distilled water maker? The only filtration/maint., are carbon bags.

Thanks in advance!
W.T.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem with some distilled water is that they run thru copper pipes. Not sure if its a high enough concentration to be a concern but why not just go with what works a RODI system.

Cost efficiency the distilled water maker only costs 75 dollars plus carbon bags producing more than enough water to maintain my 66 gallon tank.
Why not go with RODI, my question then is why not Distilled water? Which is better? City water through RODI filtration or city water through carbon filtration/evaporation?

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost efficiency the distilled water maker only costs 75 dollars plus carbon bags producing more than enough water to maintain my 66 gallon tank.
Why not go with RODI, my question then is why not Distilled water? Which is better? City water through RODI filtration or city water through carbon filtration/evaporation?
50 GPD RODI system is $70 on Amazon. RODI at 0 TDS is obviously better. I find it strange when people spend a dollar to try and save a dime.

OP
OP
W

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 GPD RODI system is $70 on Amazon. RODI at 0 TDS is obviously better. I find it strange when people spend a dollar to try and save a dime.
The filters to maintain the RODI unit are more than a dime. Also, I do not have storage nor faucet type to install a RODI unit. My only option might be the hot water heater system (cold side) in the garage.
Since distilled water from Winco has been working great at this time I'll try the distilled water maker.
Thanks for suggesting RODI is at 0TDS. Any idea what distilled water is at?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C'mon guys, its about time for all of us to accept simple fact - people on net dont seek advice, they seek confirmation of their own ideas.

100 of us can tell - get rodi, all it takes one who will say - u dont need it. And all is done, confirmation of original idea is there, 100 people are giving good advice that no one will want to hear.... ;)

OP
OP
W

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C'mon guys, its about time for all of us to accept simple fact - people on net dont seek advice, they seek confirmation of their own ideas.

100 of us can tell - get rodi, all it takes one who will say - u dont need it. And all is done, confirmation of original idea is there, 100 people are giving good advice that no one will want to hear.... ;)
Not arguing against nor attempting to confirm my decision. Was looking for something I haven't thought of in support of your comment before the order ships. However, I should have used Google search to find the tds of distilled water rather than come here with a question.
I suppose Argumentum ad Populum appeals to most.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not arguing against nor attempting to confirm my decision. Was looking for something I haven't thought of in support of your comment before the order ships. However, I should have used Google search to find the tds of distilled water rather than come here with a question.
I suppose Argumentum ad Populum appeals to most.
Hundreds of people will tell you to go RODI, but do it your own way if you wish to experiment.

OP
OP
W

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your only using such small amounts of water. Your RODI filters would last a very long time.

Thanks, the zero TDS seems to be claimed by both RODI and Distilled Water Makers.
I suppose if is true the convenience factor by way of installation becomes the next basis for decision.
Having a small counter top coffee maker type machine which can be stored away after a hour of use to produce a gallon seems most convenient.
Zero TDS of course being the most important for either.
Thanks folks for chiming in!

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi water and distiled water are not same.....

Not going into techical.stuff.....

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things to look at besides the output water. How much electricitity is it going to use to produce a gallon of water? If you have hard water the heating element might not last long.

OP
OP
W

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things to look at besides the output water. How much electricitity is it going to use to produce a gallon of water? If you have hard water the heating element might not last long.

Thanks, the amount of electricity needed is unknown. The reliability of the machine of course does factor in long term. I suppose most important parts of RODI systems are replaced considering the RODI system mainly comprises of hoses, canisters, and filters.
I'll try the distilled water maker and test the TDS later. Perhaps a report back after the unit pays itself off at the rate of 1 gallon a day vs Winco Distilled water. 75 dollars the unit will pay for itself around two months of use. Surely, someone else might find having an alternative option desirable. I mean living in an apartment etc ... .

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they not.

There so many stuff that is not "included" in tds.

Distiled water and rodi water are considered "pure water", but process is different, and simply said, rodi water are "purer" than distiled.

Rodi unit remove much more from source water than distilation. Also, not all of distiled water are the same, so, really, without exact data, hard to tell.

So, for experiment, good to go. For many cases - good to go, even in long term....

But.... If i ever encounter any problems in my tank, i want to be sure (as one can be) that my fresh water is NOT the issue.....

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a distilled water maker (750 watts) for 75 dollars capable of producing around 8 gallons a day or 1 gallon in about a hour.
Have you confirmed this data or is this claimed by the manufacturer?
I was very sceptical at first when i've seen this. If my math is right you would break some laws of thermodynamics.

Either the required Watt is wrong or the time. Meaning you would either need 2.5 kW for one gallon or 4 hours.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used distilled water for a year (I bought it from the store every week), it worked for me, it works for a reef tank no problem.

I didnt know that distilled water machines existed, I learned something today :) However, they are really not much cheaper than rodi unit, the cheapest one is the same price as the RO Buddy.

Just google "difference between distilled water and rodi water", you will get a lot more info, one of the main info provided is that distilled water costs more than rodi.

I also read on several articles that producing a single gallon of distilled water takes several hours, so not sure on your calculation to achieve 8 gallons per day.

OP
OP
W

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used distilled water for a year (I bought it from the store every week), it worked for me, it works for a reef tank no problem.

I didnt know that distilled water machines existed, I learned something today :) However, they are really not much cheaper than rodi unit, the cheapest one is the same price as the RO Buddy.

Just google "difference between distilled water and rodi water", you will get a lot more info, one of the main info provided is that distilled water costs more than rodi.

I also read on several articles that producing a single gallon of distilled water takes several hours, so not sure on your calculation to achieve 8 gallons per day.

Yes, factor in the price of RODI filters vs the carbon bags for the Distilled Water maker.
RODI filters for basic system costs anywhere from 40 (generous) to 60 dollars each time.
Distilled water maker carbon bags are 15 dollars for 12 packs.
Someone had pointed out the electricity use which is unknown other than 750 watts for however long at whatever price the electric company charges out for kw of use.
The unit I purchased today on Amazon claims 6 gallons and not 8 gallons a day:

"Mophorn Pure Water Distiller 750W, Purifier Filter Fully Upgraded with Handle 1.1 Gal /4L, BPA Free Container, Perfect for Home Use, White"​

• Efficient Water Purification: Power level: 750W; volume: 4L/1.1 gallon. This water distiller can distill 6 gal/22.7 L per day to remove dissolved solids, VOCs, and almost all other impurities, offering you the purest water. Ideal for distilling water, alcohol, and so on. Perfect for offices, homes, labs, dental clinics, etc.
  • Health and Security: Full 304 stainless steel, including the internal tank, inner cap, water outlet, inlet, and all parts in contact with liquid, meet food hygiene standards. They are featuring in CE & FDA certificate, BPA plastic-free container, and aluminum cooling fan.
  • Easy to Use & Maintain: The distilled water machine can be started by simply pressing a button, also with an automatic shutdown button inside. When the heating temperature exceeds 239℉/115℃, the distiller will automatically shut down to avoid excessive temperature damage to the machine.
  • Fast Heat Dissipation: Unlike plastic fan blades, our countertop water distiller is changed to aluminum fan blades to improve heat dissipation. The exhaust cap is also changed from plastic to 304 stainless steel, improving the heat dissipation capability.
  • User-friendly Details: The upgraded home water distiller machine has a unique portable handle on the top, easy to carry. The water container has a large opening and an ergonomic handle for easy access and cleaning. We also provide free carbon packs and fruit acid cleaners without your additional purchase.

Last edited:
Back