Rodi water tates and smells like chemicals

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my first rodi system, the aqua life 50g version. And I just flushed the membrane for 40 mins then attached the di and decided to taste the water to be sure it was clean. It tasted weird and smelled slightly chemically. Is this normal or did I not flush the membrane enough. Does the di need flushing?

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it the buddy system? Heads up having used the twist in 100gpd system I would not recommend it at all. They don’t last and I still got tds. They said filters should last 6 months I barley got 6 months out of the ro membrane.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the buddy system? Heads up having used the twist in 100gpd system I would not recommend it at all. They don’t last and I still got tds. They said filters should last 6 months I barley got 6 months out of the ro membrane.
I think it's the buddy. But is what I'm experiencing normal or an issue

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not normal, can't say if its an issue or not, not knowing what it is you're smelling. My storage container starts to get a bit of a musty smell every 3 or 4 months, a vinegar wipe takes care of that.
For future reference I am one of those users who love their Spectrapure units. I'm embarrassed to say how long I used the original RO membrane for, only changed the DI twice in that same time frame. I've just refreshed the unit with new everything it's back to tip top shape. The RO stage takes my ~250ppm water down to 1ppm while the DI stage does the last 1ppm. That means the RO membrane is giving me >99.99% filtering, better then the 98% advertised. This makes the DI go a long way.

So not to get too off track, I just wanted to suggest that if your unit is acting up honestly maybe consider getting a Spectrapure instead. In the end it just might be the cheapest option for the best water with the least fuss.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it smelled like chemicals why would you drink it?‍♂️ all jokes aside flush it for a bit longer and use your TDS meter and see what you get . There shouldn't be a smell though ...

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jake,

Do you gots a TDS meter? Not familiar with your model, did you flush the carbon and di if this is the first use? Are you sure you didn’t mix up the ro glass with a club soda?:)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be residue from the DI Resin that might still be flushing out. DI Resin for those who haven't opened a sealed bag is a very.... unique smell. And I could imagine the taste of the residue isn't much better. I do agree with what's mentioned above and reccomend a spectrapure. LOVE my unit and all the filters inside it. But in sayin that depending on how much water you make, it might not be worth it to just replace your new unit right away.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I 100% agree the twist filters are a huge waste and a massive money grab for Aquatic life and I'll never reccomend them. Really another issue is a statement of filter life. I'm shocked a company even mentions an average usage life of filters and the life of your filter entirely depends on what's in your particular water source. To say something will last 6 months is comical when someone who might have 500-1000 TDS might get a week or two out of it.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a good idea to drink DI water as it may contain contamination in the form of bits of ion exchange resin as well as debatable health issues. Not sure if you can put a bypass valve on that system but collecting water after your RO Membrane and skipping the DI section is best IMO.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drinking deionized water is supposedly bad for you but tasting won’t hurt. I recommend a TDS meter. They’re cheap and extremely useful. Good luck!

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a tds meter. And yes I flushed for 40 mins

A TDS Meter is invaluable to have to be able to tell if your system is performing properly. Inline Meters are the best IMO. Can I ask exactly how you flushed your unit?

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A TDS Meter is invaluable to have to be able to tell if your system is performing properly. Inline Meters are the best IMO. Can I ask exactly how you flushed your unit?
The manual recommends to hook it up to the tap and run it for 40 mins. That's how I did it. And I'll order a tds meter they seem cheap

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manual recommends to hook it up to the tap and run it for 40 mins. That's how I did it. And I'll order a tds meter they seem cheap

That's definitely correct, TDS meters are not crazy expensive and as far as I'm concerned they really are mandatory (Along with a PSI Gauge) for proper maintenance and operation of an RODI Unit. So for the future the best way to flush a system out before using product water (Once again, IMO) is to flush the sediment and carbon blocks separate until the water that comes out is clear of carbon dust, then connect the membrane and DI and flush those.

I'm still willing to bet that the smell and taste was mostly from the Resin. And drinking RODI water, while not advisable, should not be of long term concern to your health. If it was the only thing you drink than it most certainly could be a cause for concern.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely correct, TDS meters are not crazy expensive and as far as I'm concerned they really are mandatory (Along with a PSI Gauge) for proper maintenance and operation of an RODI Unit. So for the future the best way to flush a system out before using product water (Once again, IMO) is to flush the sediment and carbon blocks separate until the water that comes out is clear of carbon dust, then connect the membrane and DI and flush those.

I'm still willing to bet that the smell and taste was mostly from the Resin.
It was definitly resin. And I have my tds meter delivered monday. And I'll be sure to flush them sepparate next time!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back