Ron Reefman's Rock Flower experience

JoanneLeetch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! New to this, sorry. anyhoo picked up two RFA at the LFS and needless to say the gal working was supper busy and yanked the poor RFA’s out of the display tank they were in. Didn’t really pay attention, because I’m checking out the next purchase after these poor guys. The little one attached to the rock no problem, was there for a day and seemed to recover from his previous home. No big deal, but the bigger one had to be held in place for about 5 minutes before he seemed to attach to the rocks. Nope for both. The first night the big guy seemed to roll around the tank for an hour while I’m trying to catch him. Got him, had nothing to put him in, so grabbed the nearest thing, a ramekin, yep a ramekin. Don’t ask. The next day the clowns decided to play tag with the poor guy, so I pulled him out, ramekin and all, and put him in my QT. Lasted a day and he’s rolling around the tank there. Dude! I come across this post about a PVC cap, HUGH DIFFERENCE! Dang! It works!! Will definitely be using this trick in the future!!! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Attachments

• 8B5E654B-7ACE-49B1-ABD3-C86809EC7637.jpeg
    8B5E654B-7ACE-49B1-ABD3-C86809EC7637.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, little late to the party!! But, dang, your advice about the PVC cap was awesome! Bought two RFA’s a couple days ago from the LFS. Yikes! I will remember which day’s certain people
Joanne, if you ever have any questions, especially about RFAs, just ask. Here or in a PM. I'm always happy to try and help.
BTW, next week my wife and I will be snorkeling in the Florida Keys. I have a new 16g DT set up (yes, I'm doing some serious downsizing) and I need CUC (Clean Up Crew). If I find a RFA that's easy to collect, it will come home with me as well. There is a long thread here about snorkeling in the Keys and doing beach walks along the Gulf of Mexico on Sanibel Island. I collect some and my wife takes photos.

Just a side note, I have a nephew who lives in Bend.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joanne, if you ever have any questions, especially about RFAs, just ask. Here or in a PM. I'm always happy to try and help.
BTW, next week my wife and I will be snorkeling in the Florida Keys. I have a new 16g DT set up (yes, I'm doing some serious downsizing) and I need CUC (Clean Up Crew). If I find a RFA that's easy to collect, it will come home with me as well. There is a long thread here about snorkeling in the Keys and doing beach walks along the Gulf of Mexico on Sanibel Island. I collect some and my wife takes photos.

Just a side note, I have a nephew who lives in Bend.
Did you find any? One of my goals in the next few years is come down to the keys from Wisconsin and try to find some/something from there to have in tank.
Also, sorry to hear about the downsizing! Always tough to know what to keep.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find any? One of my goals in the next few years is come down to the keys from Wisconsin and try to find some/something from there to have in tank.
Also, sorry to hear about the downsizing! Always tough to know what to keep.
For starters, we are still in the Keys and today will be our 3rd and final day in the water. The first 2 days have been amazing as the life underwater seems to be flourishing in it's long term recovery since Hurricane Irma 5 years ago. Even just last year things seemed to be recovering much more slowly. But this year things look much better!

Today we are going to Little Money Key which has always been one of our favorite spots. Lots of shallow water, lots and lots of small critters to see and very few if any other people. It's a rare visit that anybody else snorkels there when we are there, and only occasionally that somebody stops to try fishing.

Actually, the downsizing has been a good experience for me. I'm kind of starting over with the nano tank and new livestock. So I find I'm doing most all the same maintenance I used to do, but it takes much less time. A20g water change in the old 90g tank would take 20 to 30 minutes, a 5g water change in the 15g tank takes less than 5 minutes!

We have seen several small RFAs, but so far they have all been attached in holes in rocks that make them impossible to get out without a hammer and chisel (which is illegal).

I'll be doing a big write up of our snorkeling, with lots of photos, when we get home. I have quite a collection of critters. Astrea snails, cerith snails, nerite snails, hermit crabs, emerald crabs, a tiny urchin, a small serpent star, a tiny sea cucumber and even 2 different kinds of chitons. Also a couple small gorgonians.

If you ever even start planing a trip to do some snorkeling in the Keys, contact me and I'll send you a bunch of info on how, when, where and so on. In fact, I'm doing that right now for a guy in Tampa who will be in the Keys in a couple of weeks. One point, long term scheduling is very important. Weather down here is either very good or quite bad for snorkeling, also there are 'special seasons' like lobster season, that you'll really want to avoid if you can.

Ron

Attachments

• aP6240114 gorgonian.jpg
    aP6240114 gorgonian.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 79

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, we are still in the Keys and today will be our 3rd and final day in the water. The first 2 days have been amazing as the life underwater seems to be flourishing in it's long term recovery since Hurricane Irma 5 years ago. Even just last year things seemed to be recovering much more slowly. But this year things look much better!

Today we are going to Little Money Key which has always been one of our favorite spots. Lots of shallow water, lots and lots of small critters to see and very few if any other people. It's a rare visit that anybody else snorkels there when we are there, and only occasionally that somebody stops to try fishing.

Actually, the downsizing has been a good experience for me. I'm kind of starting over with the nano tank and new livestock. So I find I'm doing most all the same maintenance I used to do, but it takes much less time. A20g water change in the old 90g tank would take 20 to 30 minutes, a 5g water change in the 15g tank takes less than 5 minutes!

We have seen several small RFAs, but so far they have all been attached in holes in rocks that make them impossible to get out without a hammer and chisel (which is illegal).

I'll be doing a big write up of our snorkeling, with lots of photos, when we get home. I have quite a collection of critters. Astrea snails, cerith snails, nerite snails, hermit crabs, emerald crabs, a tiny urchin, a small serpent star, a tiny sea cucumber and even 2 different kinds of chitons. Also a couple small gorgonians.

If you ever even start planing a trip to do some snorkeling in the Keys, contact me and I'll send you a bunch of info on how, when, where and so on. In fact, I'm doing that right now for a guy in Tampa who will be in the Keys in a couple of weeks. One point, long term scheduling is very important. Weather down here is either very good or quite bad for snorkeling, also there are 'special seasons' like lobster season, that you'll really want to avoid if you can.

Ron
I’ll talk to wife to see if we can start planning it lol. My 4yo loves to snorkel around in the pool, are there any areas that might be appropriate for children? The only time we would come down would be around March, unless we end up planning a special trip.
I can’t wait to see your write up!

Thanks!!

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March is kind of early in the year, which means the water can be kind of chilly. But that's from my point of view and I like water in the low to mid 80's. I've been in Florida for 20 years and I don't tolerate cold like I use to! In March the water temp is in the mid to upper 70's and can be a little warmer in the shallows near shore on sunny days. March is long before the rainy season starts, so mostly sunny and highs somewhere in the 80's would be the norm, I think.

Lots of kids snorkel at Bahia Honda State Park and at the Horseshoe at the northeast end of Spanish Harbor Key. You can see why they call it the Horseshoe...

Picture1.jpg

It's quite protected on the inside. There is a lot of cool stuff to see near the shore end and up the left side. There is a good shallow at the shore end, although it gets quite deep pretty quickly as you move away from the edges along the sides. Around the outside it's pretty shallow (2' to 4') anywhere to the left or right of the Horseshoe. Just be VERY careful at the far end. That's a boat channel off the end. Boats don't go by here very often, and most tend to slow down, but a diver down flag is essential here!

I've just done Day 1 of 3 at this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/snorkeling-collecting-discussion-group.412414/

I'll be doing Days 2 & 3 in the next couple of days.

ReefHog10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just found this thread and have really enjoyed it. I love the idea of an "anemone garden" for a pico tank! Two questions:

1. The few rock flowers i have seem to wedge next to a rock and the sand and "tuck" themselves in, not really opening up. How, in your experience do you get them to open fully?

2. I have one (a smaller one, prob 1" in diameter, that has looked good for over a week and overnight just "disappeared". I assume he's under a rock? Will it come out or do I need to go "fishing"? Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just found this thread and have really enjoyed it. I love the idea of an "anemone garden" for a pico tank! Two questions:

1. The few rock flowers i have seem to wedge next to a rock and the sand and "tuck" themselves in, not really opening up. How, in your experience do you get them to open fully?

2. I have one (a smaller one, prob 1" in diameter, that has looked good for over a week and overnight just "disappeared". I assume he's under a rock? Will it come out or do I need to go "fishing"? Thanks for your help!
Hi,

I enjoyed the time I had with my RFA breeding tank. It looked very cool.

1. I had the same issue when I started with a group of RFAs. I had a big flat rock with holes for their foot. But in just a few days they all moved to the edge of the rock at the sand. I ended up pulling the rock and putting the RFAs in pvc end caps and pressing the end cap into the sand. It turns out they love that and they don't seem to mind if sand gets inside the end cap with them. I only had a couple move out of a few dozen I had.

2. It may very well be under the rock and yes, I'd go fishing for it. I had one disappear and I didn't chase after it. A couple of months later I was moving a rock and found it. It was much smaller and had turned very pale, almost an dirty white. They have interesting personalities, but they aren't the smartest animals in the tank!

Good luck, and I'm happy to answer questions.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know if these rock anemones has male and female sex? Or do they produce both eggs and sperm? Do they use internal fertilization and release fully formed but small babies?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know if these rock anemones has male and female sex? Or do they produce both eggs and sperm? Do they use internal fertilization and release fully formed but small babies?
There are males and females. They produce sperm in the males and eggs in the females. To put it shortly. Not really sperm and eggs, so to speak, but close enough.

Typically, the females will place the eggs at their mouth and then allow the sperm to fertilize them. Sometimes they release them and sometimes they hold them. I have had them do a number of things over the years. Sometimes the females will "spit out" partially formed babies, sometimes I get new ones on the other side of the tanks and other times the babies are right next to the female.

They are weird for sure, as most other nems that spawn, just broadcast spawn and let nature happen. These critters seem to do all forms of fertilization and gestation of the little ones.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male or female, not hermaphroditic. One will release sperm(what we have referred to as "blowing smoke", while the other will cup up to catch the sperm. If you look back through this thread, think there are a few videos of this happening(pretty sure I posted my video I took one time).

They release smaller babies, about the size of a #2 pencil eraser.

I've seen the babies being released, and also just hanging out under momma skirt for a while.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The host anemones that have been successful sexually reproduced in captivity, E. quadricolor, H. malu, S. gigantea have internal fertilization and the mothers released fully formed babies.
of course BTA reproduced asexually also.

ReefHog10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have one I’d like to move from the rock out into a pvc cap, what have you found is the best method to get them to release without harming them?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have one I’d like to move from the rock out into a pvc cap, what have you found is the best method to get them to release without harming them?
Go to the nem section and look for the nem cannon. It is a sticky written by me. RFA take a little longer, but works well.

ReefHog10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional question - when using the pvc end cap do you have sand in it or leave it “clean” until the rfa attaches?

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional question - when using the pvc end cap do you have sand in it or leave it “clean” until the rfa attaches?
I clean the end cap well and even soak it in saltwater for a day or two if I have the time.
Then I'll place the nem in the end cap and set it on a frag rack or some other calm area in the tank. I've even just used some tank water in a small container for a few hours. That gives the nem a chance to get it's foot well attached. When I place it in the sand, I try to not get any in the end cap at first. But over time it will get sand in it and I haven't seen any negative effects from sand getting in after the nem is settled in. Sometimes smaller nems in PVC end caps that are a bit too big will attach to the inside corner of the end cap where the will meets the bottom. I leave the nem alone and set it in the sand. Over time, as small amounts of sand get in, the nem seems to move the the bottom of the end cap.

I hope that helps?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to rebuild my saltwater tank now. It has gone 1 year with minimal lighting (fish only) and really the main light coming from the freshwater tank next to it. The tank is a 60 gallon. 3ft. I was wondering if you knew any lights that could work for a few rock flower nems.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preferably a cheaper light given I only want to keep a few and a large investment for 5 rock nems does not seem ideal at the moment

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any of the 165 watt fixtures that run from $90 to $180 will do the trick. I just bought a Phlizon for $90 and it looks to be pretty well made. They are on Ebay and even at Walmart!

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any of the 165 watt fixtures that run from $90 to $180 will do the trick. I just bought a Phlizon for $90 and it looks to be pretty well made. They are on Ebay and even at Walmart!
Thank you

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back