Royal gramma and coral beauty issues

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping for some help- I have had my tank since 2020. My coral beauty stopped eating a few days ago and barely came out of hiding. There are no spots on her and she isn’t breathing heavy. There is literally nothing for me to take a pic of cause she looks normal. Today, I noticed my royal gramma on the sandbed taking deep breathes with what looks like maybe a swollen underside? She wouldn’t let me get close, swam super fast away from me and is also hiding. She won’t come out of her hiding spot as well. No spots on her either. No new additions since aug. the clown, the bengaii and lawnmower are all eating fine and no spots or anything noticeable about them. I started my tank on prazi pro today. Any ideas?

ps. Don’t mind my back glass, I keep it like this for lawnmower to have some snacks hence the lip marks.

water parameters:
Temp: 77.5
Salinity: 1.028 (I’m gonna make some water now to lower it but it’s not detrimental)
Ph: 8.0 (I don’t have corals)
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm

So nothing crazy bad especially for a pretty hardy fish like the gramma

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m hoping for some help- I have had my tank since 2020. My coral beauty stopped eating a few days ago and barely came out of hiding. There are no spots on her and she isn’t breathing heavy. There is literally nothing for me to take a pic of cause she looks normal. Today, I noticed my royal gramma on the sandbed taking deep breathes with what looks like maybe a swollen underside? She wouldn’t let me get close, swam super fast away from me and is also hiding. She won’t come out of her hiding spot as well. No spots on her either. No new additions since aug. the clown, the bengaii and lawnmower are all eating fine and no spots or anything noticeable about them. I started my tank on prazi pro today. Any ideas?

ps. Don’t mind my back glass, I keep it like this for lawnmower to have some snacks hence the lip marks.

water parameters:
Temp: 77.5
Salinity: 1.028 (I’m gonna make some water now to lower it but it’s not detrimental)
Ph: 8.0 (I don’t have corals)
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm

So nothing crazy bad especially for a pretty hardy fish like the gramma
Sounds like fluke symptoms but can be water quality related
Assure nitrate have not become elevated as well as tank temperature
Any heavy breathing or loss of appetite, flashing, lethargic behavior? Gasping at surface?
I’m out for dinner and can’t see video on phone

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking flukes too but so weird that no symptoms until a couple days ago?
-no gasping at surface
-loss of appetite- yes
-no flashing that I can tell. Trying to keep the light off for less stress
-yes to lethargy.

i also just did a small water change so most likely nitrate is smaller. Salinity is now 1.022

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish was acting the same way, lethargic, swimming wierd, best to remove, sometimes fish just die, nothing to do with how well kept they are.

They just die for other reasons than well looked after :)

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish was acting the same way, lethargic, swimming wierd, best to remove, sometimes fish just die, nothing to do with how well kept they are.

They just die for other reasons than well looked after :)
But I don’t want her to die shouldn’t that be enough? If she gets to the point where she won’t run anymore, then I’ll know it’s time

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’m traveling and can’t see your video either. Since you’ve already started prazi, that’s a good choice to try. Be sure to dose a second time in 8 days and be sure to aerate the tank really well during the treatment.
Jay

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’m traveling and can’t see your video either. Since you’ve already started prazi, that’s a good choice to try. Be sure to dose a second time in 8 days and be sure to aerate the tank really well during the treatment.
Jay
Def super aerated! Could prazi be used again before that?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s best to stagger prazi on a 8 day interval to catch any eggs that could be hatching in between treatments.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
To assure youre on the right track as it can be confusing, to be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To assure youre on the right track as it can be confusing, to be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite
Perfect, I will try everything and anything to save my babies

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back